PR38 replacements?

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I am finally coming to the end of my stash of PR36 and PR38 hooks. I use the PR36 in 16 and 18 for waggler/pellet waggler and PR38 in 16 for method feeder.

To replace the PR36 I have got some Preston KKM-B to try.

But I see that Preston haven't got a heavier wire hook yet to replace the PR38.

As I have been using the PR36/38 hooks for the ages now I have lost touch with what are good or better alternatives. I did try QM1's briefly but didn't feel that they were any better than PR36/38.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I found that the PR36 blunted quicker than the QM1... one man's meat etc...

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Me too. There's more bog rolls left in Tesco's than there are packets of PR36's. All what I have left are now all tied up.

Paul.P

Indeed, Preston do have a heavier gauge hook, its the XSH-B, & an excellent hook it is, used it 2nd half of last year for margin fishing . I used to use the Guru extra strong for margin work, but found they went blunt very quickly, whereas these appear just as strong but rarely go blunt, so win win !

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Indeed, Preston do have a heavier gauge hook, its the XSH-B, & an excellent hook it is, used it 2nd half of last year for margin fishing . I used to use the Guru extra strong for margin work, but found they went blunt very quickly, whereas these appear just as strong but rarely go blunt, so win win !

Thanks Paul. Just had a look and see that XSH-B is a spade hook and I was looking for an eyed hook.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Thanks to all for your replies. I've made the last of various rigs with my PR36/38's and have found some B911's and Drennan carp hooks in my "stores" so will tie a few samples to try when we're back on the bank.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I use PR36 and now kkmb, I have some PR38 but never used them as I've never had any problems with the PR36.