Powerful 10ft feeder options...

Smurfitt

Drennan vwetex mwthod feeder ans I will telI you why:
I recently decided to do some method feeder fishing whilst waiting for my bite alarms to go off on my carp set up so did some research ans bought the vertex. Ive caught everything from silvers to 15lb on 6lb line. Its a perfect rod and with patience could easily handle +20lb carp.
Sorry about the spelling
Didnt proof read before posting!

DaveMaggot

@Smurfitt predominately it will be used for fun marginal stuff on pools but I’d like it to be able to cope with river fishing and landing a barbel even if that’s not it’s forte.

solwood

Site Supporter
The tip is for registering bites, its further down the blank you cast

I rarely use more than 2oz usually less than an ounce

If river is moving through then 3oz or more might be needed and in that case I am using a barbel rod not a quiver tip .

satinet

Not directly relevant but I notice the garbolino zombie has a casting rating of 180g for the 13' version.... Maybe you can use it as an uptider too :)

DaveMaggot

Right.... having had a good think about this and also a comment from @NoCarpPlease .... I’ve decided I’d also definitely consider a 12 or 13ft powerful feeder that breaks down into 3 equal sections. Multiple people have told me it would be better for river fishing. Currently looking at the 13ft Drennan Acolyte Distance Feeder. Anyone have experience with this rod? What other options are there please?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I think you would need several rods to cover all the scenarios you have mentioned so rather than spend all the money on one very good distance feeder rod you could get a Browning CX rod in 3 parts plus quiver tips that come in various casting weights a 10 foot Vertex feeder and a 10 foot pellet waggler rod all for the cost of the Acolyte distance feeder then you would have tools more suited to the various jobs rather than trying to make just one rod do everything

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Also contacted Rive and they have confirmed their 10ft Carp Feeder rod can handle 80g weights and 20lb carp.

So I would say it’s between the Cadence, Rive and Vertex. Thanks for all the help so far, it is helping focus the choices.

Can anyone explain to me how a rod can have a 2oz tip but be rated to cast out an 80g weight?

Also, for a powerful river, would a 3oz tip be too soft?

Don't forget a loaded feeder will weigh more. A 3oz big cage feeder probably weighs closer to 5oz when loaded.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Right.... having had a good think about this and also a comment from @NoCarpPlease .... I’ve decided I’d also definitely consider a 12 or 13ft powerful feeder that breaks down into 3 equal sections. Multiple people have told me it would be better for river fishing. Currently looking at the 13ft Drennan Acolyte Distance Feeder. Anyone have experience with this rod? What other options are there please?

Daiwa Ninja X feeder has massive casting weights and is 3 piece.

DaveMaggot

Daiwa Ninja X feeder has massive casting weights and is 3 piece.
Thanks, will take a look. Also looking at the Cadence #3 distance feeder. Not sure if it will fit into a 10ft rod bag though as butt section looks shorter than the other two sections.

DaveMaggot

I think you would need several rods to cover all the scenarios you have mentioned so rather than spend all the money on one very good distance feeder rod you could get a Browning CX rod in 3 parts plus quiver tips that come in various casting weights a 10 foot Vertex feeder and a 10 foot pellet waggler rod all for the cost of the Acolyte distance feeder then you would have tools more suited to the various jobs rather than trying to make just one rod do everything
Definitely an option to consider and thanks for the input. The only thing with that is missing out on fishing with a premium bit of kit. 🤔