Powerful 10ft feeder options...

DaveMaggot

The 170g version would be a bit of a broom handle, the 40-120g would be better i think.

Can get them from that site, ship to UK but no idea on postage cost.
Good find, thanks! They look a contender. There’s a little voice in my head bugging me about the low price/quality and also getting replacement tips etc... Are they actually using the same blanks as Diawa? I kind of doubt it based on price.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Good find, thanks! They look a contender. There’s a little voice in my head bugging me about the low price/quality and also getting replacement tips etc... Are they actually using the same blanks as Diawa? I kind of doubt it based on price.

Possibly.

I wouldn't worry too much about replacement tips, can usually walk into a local tackle shop and find one that fits, can also post on here tip measurements and someone in the know will know which rods tips will be compatible.

There was a brand called Stillwater and they made the Shuriken and Matchstix range of rods which were designed by Daiwa and built on their blanks, the rods were sold for about £25 each and were actually pretty good for the money.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Not sure on 3oz mate whats that in grams.
Landing big carp does not bother me from my big carp days on lighter rods my stalker rods were small and lightish and had 30s on them in france

solwood

Site Supporter
3oz feeders loaded are going to be closer to 6

On a 1.75 barbel rod that's a lob not a cast

Rods that cast 3oz plus feeders generally Are not so good for four smaller fish

How many of the fish are gonna be 20lb, how often 3 ozs Will be usef

Acolyte plus I have, I wouldn't use a 3oz feeder and a 20lb carpwould need to be on an open swim ! Not least because I use 5lb hyper sensor!

Very few rods can go from silverz to 20lb carp abs be enjoyable for the whole range !

It's easy to gear up for the outliers

I fish a runs carp water, most fish doubles but possible 30lber

I use a 20 year old amorphous whisker power float rod, 5lb line, .15 hooklink and a 16 hook ! Best fish on this setup 16lb

How many lost to lime breaking none ! Hook pulls 3 !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

Very few rods can go from silverz to 20lb carp abs be enjoyable for the whole range !

Spot on, I always think gear up for the fish and conditions that you will catch and face not those you might catch and face as is better to be under gunned once in a while than over gunned most of the time.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Does it have to be a tip rod? What are you fishing for, what rig / feeder / ledger set up are you using? Would something like a Sonik Insurgent or Xtractor retractable butt carp rod work?

DaveMaggot

3oz feeders loaded are going to be closer to 6

On a 1.75 barbel rod that's a lob not a cast

Rods that cast 3oz plus feeders generally Are not so good for four smaller fish

Acolyte plus I have, I wouldn't use a 3oz feeder and a 20lb carpwould need to be on an open swim ! Not least because I use 5lb hyper sensor!

I use a 20 year old amorphous whisker power float rod, 5lb line, .15 hooklink and a 16 hook ! Best fish on this setup 16lb

How many lost to lime breaking none ! Hook pulls 3 !
You make a lot of sense bud. The rod will predominantly be used for what I call fun fishing... So at a carp/commercial water I’ll have my carp rod set up to target a specimen fish. With my second rod I’ll either float fish or feeder fish to keep me active and engaged. I’m not a fan of the 3 rod bite alarm set up but each to their own.

So this rod will be used for maggot/pellet/method feeders, light bomb rigs etc... might be catching bream, F1’s, or whatever else comes my way. However, if a big carp happens to take my bait I want to be confident the rod will cope, even if it’s a struggle.

I also do some barbel fishing and I’d like this rod to be able to cope with a double barbel on the middle Severn, even if most of the time I am using it with a lighter set up for other species such as perch and chub.

Does that make any sense? I think actually we might be on the same page or nearly.

DaveMaggot

Does it have to be a tip rod? What are you fishing for, what rig / feeder / ledger set up are you using? Would something like a Sonik Insurgent or Xtractor retractable butt carp rod work?
A multitude of scenarios really. Could be bomb/method/maggot. Something to keep me entertained. I either want to be looking at a blob of orange floating around in the water or a blob of orange on the tip of a rod :) I have a 3lb Shimano TX2 for specifically targeting big fish but it would be great if they could be caught on the feeder rod as well without having a panic attack!

Last edited:

DaveMaggot

Currently leaning towards the Cadence CR10 10ft Feeder #2. Been reading a lot of comments online (including searching this forum) and people have caught 20lb carp and 10lb barbel with the #2 rated rods. Also has the option of adding a 3oz tip which would give me more confidence with casting a larger weight. :unsure:

Smurfitt

Drennan vwetex mwthod feeder ans I will telI you why:
I recently decided to do some method feeder fishing whilst waiting for my bite alarms to go off on my carp set up so did some research ans bought the vertex. Ive caught everything from silvers to 15lb on 6lb line. Its a perfect rod and with patience could easily handle +20lb carp.

DaveMaggot

Drennan vwetex mwthod feeder ans I will telI you why:
I recently decided to do some method feeder fishing whilst waiting for my bite alarms to go off on my carp set up so did some research ans bought the vertex. Ive caught everything from silvers to 15lb on 6lb line. Its a perfect rod and with patience could easily handle +20lb carp.
Thanks for the review, good to hear it can cope with 20lb fish. I like the amount of tip options you get with it as well. My friend has recently bought the Vertex Method and he’s really happy with it. Only thing is I don’t really want to copy him lol but if it’s the clear winner I would get it as well. ??

DaveMaggot

Also contacted Rive and they have confirmed their 10ft Carp Feeder rod can handle 80g weights and 20lb carp.

So I would say it’s between the Cadence, Rive and Vertex. Thanks for all the help so far, it is helping focus the choices.

Can anyone explain to me how a rod can have a 2oz tip but be rated to cast out an 80g weight?

Also, for a powerful river, would a 3oz tip be too soft?

Smurfitt

Also contacted Rive and they have confirmed their 10ft Carp Feeder rod can handle 80g weights and 20lb carp.

So I would say it’s between the Cadence, Rive and Vertex. Thanks for all the help so far, it is helping focus the choices.

Can anyone explain to me how a rod can have a 2oz tip but be rated to cast out an 80g weight?

Also, for a powerful river, would a 3oz tip be

10ft rod on a river or want to cast a distance?.They are designed for margin fishing and smaller venues.

Also, for a powerful river, would a 3oz tip be too soft?
A 19ft rod is designed more for margin fishing, stalking and smaller venues. If you want to cast a distance and on fast flowing water you should really go for a longer length rod.