Powerful 10ft feeder options...

DaveMaggot

Hi everyone :)

Decided I need to join an angling forum and this one looked the best! I need some help with choosing a rod please. It must be 10ft to fit in my rod holdall (don't judge me please haha) and I like using shorter rods. It also needs to be strong enough for casting out 3oz weights (holding bottom on river) and landing 20lb+ carp (as well as having fun with smaller fish).

I've done hours and hours of research trying to find suitable rods and it has not been easy! Most of the extra power feeder rods are 12ft. I'm also a bit confused by rod tips and their strength rating vs the rods maximum cast weight. Max budget circa £200. Anyway... here is the list of rods I have come up with:

1. Matrix Horizon X Pro 10ft Commercial Feeder
Included: 1.5, 2.0oz
Optional: No
Max Cast: ?
£210
Comments: No tips above 2oz. Can it cope with casting a 3oz weight and playing 20lb+ carp?

2. MAP Parabolix 10ft SUV Feeder
Included: 0.5, 1.0, 1.5oz
£180
Comments: SUV is 20% stronger than standard version. No tips above 1.5oz. Can it cope with casting a 3oz weight and playing 20lb+ carp?

3. Drennan Acolyte Plus 10ft Feeder
Included: 1.5, 2.0, 2.5oz
Optional: 3.0, 4.0oz
Max Cast: 45g (optimum)
£180
Comments: Confused by max cast weight recommendation when it has a 4oz tip option. Will it struggle to cast 3oz weights and play 20lb+ carp?

4. Rive 10ft Carp Feeder 2020
Included: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0oz
Max Cast: 50-80g
£179
Comments: Confused by 80g cast weight when it has a 2oz max tip. Designed for larger fish.

5. Tri-Cast XRS Short Method Feeder
Included: 1.5, 2.0oz
Max Cast: 120g
£167
Comments: Confused by 2oz max tip despite having a 120g max cast weight? Looks a bit ugly.

6. Cadence CR10 10ft Feeder
Included: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0oz
Optional: 3.0oz
Max Cast: 60g
£110
Comments: Will it struggle casting a 3oz weight and playing 20lb+ carp?

7. Drennan Vertex 10ft Method feeder
Included: 2.0, 3.0oz
Optional: 4.0, 6.0oz
£95
Comments: Can’t find the max cast value but has a 6oz tip option! Will it struggle with playing 20lb+ carp?

8. Garbolino Zombie 10ft Carp Feeder
Included: unknown
Max Cast: 100g
£77
Comments: Very little info on this rod. Good max cast weight.

9. Maver MVR 10ft Method Feeder
Included: Light, Medium, Heavy
Max Cast: 60-90g
£67
Comments: Can’t find much on this rod. Promo video says it will cope with 20lb carp. Will it cast a 3oz weight?

Questions:

a) If you own or have used any of the above rods would you say it can cope with 3oz weights and playing 20lb+ carp?

b) Which of the above rods do you think is best equipped to deal with my requirements?

c) Is there another 10ft feeder rod you would recommend that fits the criteria and not listed above?

d) How is it possible for a rod to have a 2oz tip max and yet have a max casting weight rating thats higher? E.g. a 2oz tip and 80g max cast.

Thanks for your help in advance all and sorry if my requirements seem a bit stupid!

Dave

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
If you can stretch to 11ft, the Daiwa Aqualite can cast 100g and is a fantastic rod, need to import from Germany or Poland though but a couple sites will do it.

Regarding tip ratings, 2oz, 3oz etc is the weight required to bend the tip through 90 degrees, much like the test curve on a carp rod.

rd115

Site Supporter
This could be worth a punt.

10ft (300cm) version has casting weight to 120g which is about 4oz?

Cheap as chips so might be worth a gamble, also Cormoran is owned by Daiwa 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A second hand 11 / 13’ Daiwa Amorphous whisker extra heavy would do the job used at 11’. I can’t think of a 10’ river feeder rod. 🤔🤔

squimp

Site Supporter
I have a Tricast short method rod. It is superb, but it wouldn’t be my rod of choice for 20lb fish or 3oz feeders.

I’ve used it with 1oz feeders and had fish to mid doubles and it bends to the butt with those......

DaveMaggot

If you can stretch to 11ft, the Daiwa Aqualite can cast 100g and is a fantastic rod, need to import from Germany or Poland though but a couple sites will do it.

Regarding tip ratings, 2oz, 3oz etc is the weight required to bend the tip through 90 degrees, much like the test curve on a carp rod.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that looks like it would do the job if only it came with a 10ft option. I really want to be able to carry all rods in one bag. I like to more from x to y in one go and so always try to keep my luggage as easy to carry and as compact as possible. Plus I think I might suffer from mild OCD lol... my other two rods (carp rod and float rod) are 10ft. Thanks again for input (y)

DaveMaggot

This could be worth a punt.

10ft (300cm) version has casting weight to 120g which is about 4oz?

Cheap as chips so might be worth a gamble, also Cormoran is owned by Daiwa 👍
Interesting find! In truth; I think I'd be a bit worried that for £23 it'll be poor quality but I shall have a good look through their site and bookmark them. Thanks for helping :)

DaveMaggot

I have a Tricast short method rod. It is superb, but it wouldn’t be my rod of choice for 20lb fish or 3oz feeders.

I’ve used it with 1oz feeders and had fish to mid doubles and it bends to the butt with those......
Good insight, thanks for your help. I think I will exclude that one based on your feedback.

rd115

Site Supporter
Another option would be custom built.

Might be worth pinging an email to someone like Dave Lumb and give him your specs, see if he can build something to your price.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that looks like it would do the job if only it came with a 10ft option. I really want to be able to carry all rods in one bag. I like to more from x to y in one go and so always try to keep my luggage as easy to carry and as compact as possible. Plus I think I might suffer from mild OCD lol... my other two rods (carp rod and float rod) are 10ft. Thanks again for input (y)
Putting aside the OCD question ... do you carry the rods made up?
Because a 13ft rod in 3 pieces is shorter to carry than a 10ft two piece ....

DaveMaggot

Another option would be custom built.

Might be worth pinging an email to someone like Dave Lumb and give him your specs, see if he can build something to your price.
Might consider this but guessing it will be expensive and take a long time. Thanks for suggestion.

DaveMaggot

Putting aside the OCD question ... do you carry the rods made up?
Because a 13ft rod in 3 pieces is shorter to carry than a 10ft two piece ....
Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I’m relaxed about my 3lb tc carp rod but the Shimano Beastmaster CX float rod worries me when it is made up in the bag.

Good point about the 13ft and I have thought about it but don’t really want a rod that long. I find them too unwieldy and end up poking trees and bushes :oops:

rd115

Site Supporter
Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I’m relaxed about my 3lb tc carp rod but the Shimano Beastmaster CX float rod worries me when it is made up in the bag.

Good point about the 13ft and I have thought about it but don’t really want a rod that long. I find them too unwieldy and end up poking trees and bushes :oops:

Can get an 11ft 3 piece, Daiwa Ninja X fits the bill there, 120g casting weight but not as forgiving as the 11ft 2 piece Aqualite.

DaveMaggot

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
for made up rods i have found these straps to be brilliant, have a slot for the eyes on the rod and i use 2 straps per rod and love these. Just in case its of interest to you Amazon product

rd115

Site Supporter
@rd115 I’ve had a look at the Cormoran rod range since your earlier post. They actually released a new one this year including a 10ft version. It’s called the GF Feeder Pro Short Track and it’s rated 170g! Looks a bit more upmarket compared to the Sportline. No UK distributor though which could be a pain, not sure.

http://www.daiwa-cormoran.info/co/en/products/leger_feeder_rods/gf_feeder_pro_short_track

The 170g version would be a bit of a broom handle, the 40-120g would be better i think.

Can get them from that site, ship to UK but no idea on postage cost.