Power price rise

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just seen on the BBC website that Ofgen are considering raising the price cap on household bills by £21 per year to help energy companies which have been hit by a rise in unpaid bills.

Why should those who pay their bills be penalised?

drw

Site Supporter
Just seen on the BBC website that Ofgen are considering raising the price cap on household bills by £21 per year to help energy companies which have been hit by a rise in unpaid bills.

Totally agree Geoff but that’s the world we live in unfortunately

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Theres always some lame excuse for putting the price up. They took these people on as customers. If they don’t do background checks or the DD gets refused a couple of times, pull the plug. Don’t make the rest of us pay for it.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter

A very good point

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Theres always some lame excuse for putting the price up. They took these people on as customers. If they don’t do background checks or the DD gets refused a couple of times, pull the plug. Don’t make the rest of us pay for it.
I could be wrong but i don't think firms are allowed to refuse to supply essential services such as electricity on the basis of credit history or in fact switch off their electricity supply . I believe they can however install a pre pay meter whether the debtor in question agrees or not which would make more sense than charging the people who do actually pay as the OP intimated seems an odd way to address the problem.

2ts

Site Supporter
Wigan council slapped a charge of £25 on all the council tax bills due to non payment of poll tax early 1990's.
This had to be paid,regardless as to whether you had paid the full amount .It appeared on the accounts as "other charges".

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I could be wrong but i don't think firms are allowed to refuse to supply essential services such as electricity on the basis of credit history or in fact switch off their electricity supply . I believe they can however install a pre pay meter whether the debtor in question agrees or not which would make more sense than charging the people who do actually pay as the OP intimated seems an odd way to address the problem.
I think you are right, but what’s the difference of cutting someone off for non payment to them having no money to put in the meter. The result is the same.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
So responsible paying folk are made to keep the pockets lined of the shareholders so they dont have to chase up debt.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Everyone who has a petrol or diesel car is subsidising someone with a electric car.

wildcat16

Site Supporter
So responsible paying folk are made to keep the pockets lined of the shareholders so they dont have to chase up debt.
as per the fat cats will always be alright wise one, a lad i know worked 4 the leccy board, he had cards that could put credit on folks meters that couldnt pay supposedly, but had the telly xbox phones cigs car ect ect and your bill is higher cos they dont pay

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Its not ideal paying an extra amount but i hate to hear of families struggling, no genuine families should wake up to no heating or cooking facilities. A lot of us on here have woken to ice on the inside of our windows many moons ago and its terrible. Little kids need a little warmth and dry clothes not damp clothes and of course a warm meal or 2. There are many many genuine families struggling especially now and winter is upon us . Id pay instantly but feel the government and the power providers should dig deep to.

robert d

Site Supporter
More benefits mean more beer and cigs especially when someone else is paying for the kids upbringing.

If ya cant feed em dont breed em.
Very true Wise but the kids are innocent, some parents have no shame but at the same time many parents are genuine and deserve a helping hand . Thousands have been put in a terrible position ,no job ,no income or very little . Many dont want handouts but they do need them . I havent got the answers but firmly believe everyone should have a roof over their head a little warmth and food on the table . Those that cheat the system and spend it on beer should hang their heads in shame,not forgetting those that gamble it away for fun.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Like i have said before if my family needed it i worked for it. Now if summat goes Tits up and i cant work after paying in since i left school id get nothing in the way of help and that would be just for me and my Gert not 9 kids as well.

robert d

Site Supporter
Like i have said before if my family needed it i worked for it. Now if summat goes Tits up and i cant work after paying in since i left school id get nothing in the way of help and that would be just for me and my Gert not 9 kids as well.
I know from other posts you work hard and have been sensible and my hats off to you and others who have . My point is we shouldnt let the ones who abuse the system ruin it for the less fortunate who have also worked hard when they can but hit hard times. Ive been on the dole all be it over 20 years ago and its not a nice place to be ,i like you and millions of others have worked when i can but sometimes its impossible, either no job ,illness or transport issues. Some people have worked all their lives on the bread line just surviving and cant save a penny . Those deserve a little help until they can get back on their feet .

2ts

Site Supporter
Most other businesses have been expected to take it on the chin.
What is different with the power companies ?,after all they were denationalised to satisfy shareholders.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
And then ya got Blair the biggest killer in the last 20 years saying if we pull foreign Aid it will cost lives ???

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I would not worry too much as you already pay best part of double that towards the numpties green schemes.
Not exactly sure how the price cap works as surely if you use more you pay more and if you use less you pay less as it is all metered anyway and if you dont like the rate you are charged you look for a cheaper supplier.

62tucker

Site Supporter
We have always paid more to pay for them who didn’t pay
Same as car insurance. You pay £20/£30 to cover uninsured drivers.
You also pay extra power bill money for them to invest in new technology etc