Poundland Bait range trial

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It doesn't say which 10 stores are trialling them, unless I've missed something. I'd certainly give them a go and if it doesn't work there's no great loss.

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Just spotted this bit
"The trial stores, which are all in the Midlands and the North, are: Bromsgrove; Stourbridge; Kidderminster Swan Centre; Malvern Retail Park; Worcester; Dewsbury; Wakefield Snowhill; Doncaster Retail Park; Rotherham Parkgate and Huddersfield Victoria Lane. "
Someone (or two) beat me to it :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is this another nail in the coffin for the local tackle shops ?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Stafford had fishing baits in a while ago, i bought some of the micro pellets and they were pretty good.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Is this another nail in the coffin for the local tackle shops ?

Possibly, but it will also bring on the competition for the big name brands to lower their prices if these Poundland ones take off. I wonder if the pellets are Copdock Mills, if so, they are pretty decent.

Gwillim

Also depends on whether or not you are using them on a natural venue or just for water pigs me thinks ;)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I know a few years back, Poundland was doing bags of 4mm Copdock Mills pellet. They worked very well on waters round me at the time. But what would you class as a natural? Take our club waters for example. They are approx 160 maybe 170 years old and built to feed water to the pit (long gone now). It has never been a day ticket water so is not a commercial, it's members only. It was never built as a fishery, it was built for a purpose but fish were put in when the pit closed quite a few years ago. So is it a 'natural' or something in between?
I'm off to Wakefield Thursday to see if Poundland has any of the groundbait or pellet and if so, will try them out.

Last edited:

Gwillim

I know a few years back, Poundland was doing bags of 4mm Copdock Mills pellet. They worked very well on waters round me at the time. But what would you class as a natural? Take our club waters for example. They are approx 160 maybe 170 years old and built to feed water to the pit (long gone now). It has never been a day ticket water so is not a commercial, it's members only. It was never built as a fishery, it was built for a purpose but fish were put in when the pit closed quite a few years ago. So is it a 'natural' or something in between?
I'm off to Wakefield Thursday to see if Poundland has any of the groundbait or pellet and if so, will try them out.

Personally for me that is a natural venue, commercial venue for me is a hole dug in the ground filled with water and stuffed with fish (mostly water pigs) that are constantly feeding as there is little to no natural food available due to the design and stocking level and its sole purpose is to generate money.

For me club waters and other venues don't fall into the same category although they are making money they were not specifically dug and filled for the purpose of generating money, they are from old pits, quarries, estate lakes, village ponds, local authority lakes and so on, obviously this is just my own opinion and matters not at all ;)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It matters when people class waters as 'commercial' or 'natural', I think you summed it up nicely. Surely though there's something between the two, or have I got it wrong? (again).

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Poundland sold 700g bags of Copdock pellets a few years ago in strawberry and another flavour.
I bought £5 worth of strawberry and they were junk as most were already or just broke to dust.
Hopefully they will have changed.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
The other one was fishmeal, and yes, I left the strawberry ones on the shelf. They just didn't look right to me. Having said that, a neighbour at the time bought some of the strawberry ones to make some paste with...he blanked.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That was it and they came in red and brown packaging
Mine just went straight into the processor and added to carp method mix.

Gwillim

It matters when people class waters as 'commercial' or 'natural', I think you summed it up nicely. Surely though there's something between the two, or have I got it wrong? (again).

The matters not at all comment is just in reference to my own opinion lol, like I say my own feelings as to what is commercial and what is not could be (and most probably is) very different to some other peoples, i'm not a massive fan of commercial fisheries (not sure you could tell) this has nothing to do with anything other than I like to catch a variety of species, on a variety of methods and baits, not knowing what your going to catch next or if your even going to catch at all is what I was brought up on, I started at age 6/7 on a big local pit and then local ponds, progressed to Match fishing in Europe on rivers such as the Wesser in Germany chucking dustbin size feeders and going through a sack of brown crumb in one match to the Skjern in Denmark standing in waders and bait apron trotting for roach and getting through 6-8 pints of maggot/caster to fishing club ponds with 6 pegs lol on pleasure sessions. So for me a hole that was dug and filled specifically for people to catch however many 100's of lbs of carp in a few hrs is not at the top of my list of venues, that is not to say I wont or don't on occasion visit commercial venues but more natural venues are my preference :)