Posting rods

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just a little tip from one who does it often

first inspect the rod, if you can, take phots of it

pack it in the rod bag and then cut strips of bubble wrap, use these to wrap the rod bag where the eyes are, especially the lower-bigger ones

get your tube, then stuff some bubble wrap or newspaper in the end, insert the rod in the tube, now check that your bubble wrap strips perform a snug fit, your looking for no movement at all

place some more wrap or newspaper in the top, this is end buffer, then replace the cap, use brown parcel tape to secure both ends-caps, across and then wrap the tape around the ends thus

write out a minimum of two address labels for the package and stick them to opposite ends of the tube

then find some timber batten, you need at least two pieces the same length of the tube, affix these to either side of the tube with the brown parcel tape, be careful not to obscure the address labels, these will act as a stiffener to the tube, it works, believe me, take a photo of completed tube

then contact your courier or post office, check the standard postage costs, with royal mail this includes a minimum of insurance, £40 max value I think

now it is down to you to inquire the costs for insurance for more valuable items, costs can vary quite a lot, but if summats worth a decent amount, take out the extra insurance on it, your photos will form part of any evidence as to packing and contents in case of a claim is required

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Great tips. Who are you posting with Mick as I have a couple of Rods I'd like to shift, But I've never posted anything longer than a fishing box which doesn't work out too bad. Length is critical to pricing it seems however and I can't find a decently priced courier?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
APC will take a parcel under 20kgs with a max length of 1900mm

this is the longest as standard tube I have found

otherwise you have to send it as a special item delivery, not all couriers will do it

i then contact my local postage supermarket and get them to sort me a courier that will, they have been very good so far

nejohn

Site Supporter
I do very similar to Mick but I also cut some rings out of some very dense foam that I acquired (its a bit like the stuff they use in flower arranging but doesn't break up) the outside dia is a snug fit in the tube and I make the inside dia a snug fit at each end of the rod I am sending and tape them into each end of the tube this definitely stops the rod rattling around in the tube

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
APC Are saying they can't find a service when I use their quick quoting system, Odd.
I'll have to look into it a bit better when I get back.
Cheers Mick.

satinet

Site Supporter
I recently used parcel force. It's up to £100 compensation. It was a match rod so the tube was only about 145cm.

About 10 quid. I used the code 'MEM' and I got 10% off.

I only used the standard black tube and it got here ok. In fact the tube got posted twice because I had to send it to the seller from eBay and arrange for it to be collected back.

Seems a bit harder to get larger packages sent these days and prices have gone up even using parcel monkey, interparcel and parcel2go etc.

trotter2

Which companies offer insurance cover on fishing rods. I now from experience it's only loss not damage to my cost.