Posting/delivering an Air Rirle

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I have an old 1906 BSA/Jefferies Air rirle which someone has made me an offer for. However I have to get it to Portsmouth from Nottingham.

I am sure that many on here own air rifles and know the regualtions and best way to delivery it. Can any PLEASE give me any tips. It is valued at £250.

Thanking you in anticipation

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Here's a couple of rules you MUST follow...MUST BE SENT VIA ROYAL MAIL ONLY.

Arms and Ammunition - low powered air weapons Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:
These items must be sent on an express48 service only
These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter
Enhanced compensation cover is not available.

Can be sent in the U.K. but not international.

Another rule to watch out for...

Arms and Ammunition All firearms, other than low-powered air weapons sent within the UK (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), including imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; components of firearms and all other items similar to, or resembling, the foregoing are prohibited. All ammunition other than lead pellets and other air gun and airsoft projectiles is also prohibited

Can't be sent at all

An air rifle can be sent 48hr service, but it must be sent via a post office counter. You cannot present it at a Parcelforce depot yourself. Also, if sending by ParcelForce, you must have a contract account with them.

Last edited:

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
A spring powered air rifle is fine to post. A pcp air rifle is not fine. I have posted quite a few pcp air guns in the past, unaware that I was breaking the law.
I learned the hard way after post an FX verminator mk2 to Cornwall.
I’d sold a guy one a few months earlier and it got there no problem. This one however didn’t. It was sent to Belfast for examination. I thought they were checking the legal power limit but the weren’t. They took the cylinder off it and destroyed it.
Cost me £148 for a new one ???‍♂️ Lesson learned the hard way.
I’m sure you’ll be fine with an old spring powered gun mate

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Is it like shotguns ? Do they have to be sent to a registered dealer / gunsmith ?

cjsid

They can be posted at the post office parcel force 48hr , the maximum compensation is £100 so don't let them con you into paying for extra as they will not pay more than 100 if any problems