Post Punk

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone into it?

Post - the idea that you can do anything
Punk - the idea that anyone can do it

Here are some bands I listen to.

A Certain Ratio, Blunt, Cabaret Voltaire, Clock DVA, Dome, Durutti Column, Eric Random, Essential Logic, The Fall, Gang of Gour, Joy Division, Pere Ubu. The Pop Group, Public Image Ltd, The Slits, Swell Maps, This Heat, Throbbing Gristle, 23 Skidoo, Wire, Young Marble Giants.

There are loads more.

Listening to Young Marble Giants album Colossal Youth at the moment and it reminds me how much I like this music. I got into it a young age due to an older punk mate who was really into this stuff and still is. I think it shaped my taste for experimental music. Though a lot of new post punk revival stuff I think misses the point.

I also listen to a lot of dance music and up until maybe 1995 that kind of took over music wise of stuff with the same attitude that revival stuff lacks.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Loved Young Marble Giants...

Other bands mentioned are a bit of a mixed bag,,,
Saw 23 Skidoo once . there's a fine line between experimentation and just fannying about making a lot of noise, and they were the wrong side of it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Unknown Pleasures is my favourite Joy Division album. Durutti Column are my favourite band though, about as sweet as post punk gets, instead of the noise for the sake of noise stuff that a lot of it turns out to be.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Dont know much about post punk but pop punk is very much the music of my generation. Was what we listened to as teenagers and still love it now 👍🏻

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My mate who does karaoke every time we go out was always really into his pop punk bands like NOFX. 😁

Deejay8

Site Supporter
The Cure were post punk too.And although they are often considered punk because of their connections to the Sex Pistols, Siouxsie And The Banshees should be considered post punk, as they began as a proper band in 1978 as true punk was already over, and shared that sparse sound that was a feature of post punk. And an unusual example of post punk would be Adam And The Ants. Their first album Dirk Wears White Sox, was definitely post punk in it's sound and when it was released.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Lots of decent bands came out of the post punk era one of my lesser known favourites were Punishment of Luxury

Also liked the 3 Liverpool bands, Echo and the bunnymen, icicle works and the teardrop explodes. I was also lucky enough to see a couple of early Joy Division gigs which were pretty good

Deejay8

Site Supporter
The Banshees with guitarist John McGeooch (x Magazine) were excellent.
I never got to see the Banshees with McGeoch, but I did see them with Robert Smith, which was incredible. He just stood motionless to the side of the stage, staring down at his feet for the whole performance , backlit so just a silhouette and his guitar playing was amazing. If you want to hear it, you should check out the live album 'Nocturne'.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Pere Ubu were an offshoot from Rocket from the Tombs with David Thomas and Peter Laughner, pre dated punk (over here) by a few years

Sjfitz

Anyone into it?

Post - the idea that you can do anything
Punk - the idea that anyone can do it

Here are some bands I listen to.

A Certain Ratio, Blunt, Cabaret Voltaire, Clock DVA, Dome, Durutti Column, Eric Random, Essential Logic, The Fall, Gang of Gour, Joy Division, Pere Ubu. The Pop Group, Public Image Ltd, The Slits, Swell Maps, This Heat, Throbbing Gristle, 23 Skidoo, Wire, Young Marble Giants.

There are loads more.

Listening to Young Marble Giants album Colossal Youth at the moment and it reminds me how much I like this music. I got into it a young age due to an older punk mate who was really into this stuff and still is. I think it shaped my taste for experimental music. Though a lot of new post punk revival stuff I think misses the point.

I also listen to a lot of dance music and up until maybe 1995 that kind of took over music wise of stuff with the same attitude that revival stuff lacks.
Some cracking bands there my friend , seems like you’ve been through my record collection .
joy division were on another level