Post a random image (2)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Looks like a Cardinal, but never seen that anti-reverse switch or that body shape before, it must be early?
Nice reel!(y)
Its an Abu444a one of the really early Cardinals, there is an even rarer 333 same body shape as I recall...
The 444a is a bit slow on the retrieve, but the rear drag (one of the first) is a pleasure to use and can be slackened off and used as a sort of baitrunner.... you do run the risk of line twist if you do though...

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Its an Abu444a one of the really early Cardinals, there is an even rarer 333 same body shape as I recall...
The 444a is a bit slow on the retrieve, but the rear drag (one of the first) is a pleasure to use and can be slackened off and used as a sort of baitrunner.... you do run the risk of line twist if you do though...
In the early sixties I visited the fishing tackle department at Selfridges in Oxford street. The entire ABU range was on display, display
cases of every type of reel imaginable plus whole walls of lures. As a mad keen young angler I was blown away.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
In the early sixties I visited the fishing tackle department at Selfridges in Oxford street. The entire ABU range was on display, display
cases of every type of reel imaginable plus whole walls of lures. As a mad keen young angler I was blown away.
In the 70s I was visiting relations with my parents near London and went into Youngs of Harrow who were supposed to be one of the biggest ABU dealers in the uk but I remember being a little disappointed at the selection, A later trip to Dons of Edmonton was much more rewarding for their selection of continental pole tackle.