Pop up rigs

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've never fished a pop up and was thinking about doing it with pellets for bream on a feeder rig and don't know how to set up the rig.

I would have thought I obviously need something near to the hook to weigh down the pop up but what do I need to use? A simple shot isn't going to be right is it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

These are what I need? What size is right for 8 and 10mm floating pellets?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Tungsten putty or plasticen will do the job or even a split shot... tinker with the shot sizes to get a bait that only just sinks slowly

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Make that for 11mm pellet as got a bag of them... so shot is ok?

Also do these exist - hooks to less than 3lb nylon with bait band for 11mm pellet? I'm new to bait bands and plan to bag up on Bream on the floating pellets I've got.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice one. Will have a look. I've had a problem before of the band not being big enough for an 11mm pellet. Maybe I should just buy some bands and learn to tie them myself?

Arry

Site Supporter
For bream 6 or 8mm is fine I use 6mm on a banded hook with method feeder with wetted micros on the feeder

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I reckon it will work well on the lake I'm going to use it on. Just that I have a bag of 11mm pellets that need using so... could always buy some smaller I guess.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Try with a No1 shot, about 2 inch from the bait, in a bowl of water so you can see what happens. If you're not happy then change the shot for the next size up (or down) either a BB or a No4. I've found that a BB with a 12mm pop-up boilie works fine. Not tried it with pellet though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can't find any to nylon so going to be tying my own size 14s to 3lb hair rigs. (y):unsure:

Arry

Site Supporter
A size 14 with 11mm....? I was using a 12 with 8mm pellets at the weekend... go with what you want, but I'd use a slightly larger hook

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo

Have you seen these?..with bands. Use drop-down menu for size.

Can't see the full drop down menu on my laptop - will have a look on main computer later but worried the band won't be big enough for an 11mm pellet.

A size 14 with 11mm....? I was using a 12 with 8mm pellets at the weekend... go with what you want, but I'd use a slightly larger hook

11mm not that much bigger than a 8mm. Reckon 14s will be fine, for bream remember. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers mate. Doesn't say breaking strain of the line though. Reckon I'll be better tying them myself. Doesn't look too difficult just never tried it before.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Cheers mate. Doesn't say breaking strain of the line though. Reckon I'll be better tying them myself. Doesn't look too difficult just never tried it before.

Then prepare for some wrong ones before you get it right. Practice, practice...then practice some more (or get someone to tie them for you to your specifications). I think though that the line at 3lb is a bit weak.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I reckon that it's a bit weak for a hair rig. It was fine for big slabs on a feeder with worm but I'm thinking might be a bit fiddly for a hair rig. You're right I'm going to have to practise with it though.

If any tackle companies are reading Drennan/Preston/Guru then you have a gap in the market for BREAM rigs with hook bands .