Pop Up Fake Corn

Maverick

Site Supporter
Just tying up a few pop up rigs with double & single fake corn to Mono. Only want to pop it up an inch or two off the bottom.

Would you use a split shot to anchor it down or would this weaken the line?

The carp boys all seem to use braid, strip a bit back and use tungsten putty. Is a split shot a better option on mono?

Silver fan 82

Just tying up a few pop up rigs with double & single fake corn to Mono. Only want to pop it up an inch or two off the bottom.

The carp boys all seem to use braid, strip a bit back and use tungsten putty. Is a split shot a better option on mono?
I use a split shot on the hair between the hook and bait.

Silver fan 82

Once you have put the split shot on the line you probably won't be moving it so I don't really see how it will damage the line all that much? If you put the shot on the line you will put it however far away from the hook you want the corn to pop up, you're not constantly sliding it up and down the line so I don't see how it will damage the line. IMO tungsten putty is just another carpy gimmick.

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
That’s what it was designed for !

...not according to KD (Kenny Dorsett) who invented the rig.

In an interview with Carpology about his rig;

"I add a split shot on the Hair because initially I wanted a pop-up that would be close to the bottom; I didn’t want it two-inches, an inch, half-an-inch off the bottom, I wanted it really close."

He initially designed it for popup boilies.

squimp

Site Supporter
At least we can agree on how to tie it and that it works best wth a buoyant bait !

And that it will do a good job for the OP.

Maverick

Site Supporter
So with a weight on the line before the hook, it can only pop up a set distance. With the weight on the hair does that not anchor the corn to the bottom?

Silver fan 82

So with a weight on the line before the hook, it can only pop up a set distance. With the weight on the hair does that not anchor the corn to the bottom?
Not completely. The pop up corn will always want to float. With the weight on the hair it is essentially a KD rig as already mentioned. The idea being that the bait just hovers off of the bottom while the split shot and the weight of the hook hold it down. Its almost like fishing a "critically balanced" bait. Ive found it to be effective.
With a more standard pop up rig the bait can be anything from 1 to 2 or 3 inches off of the bottom depending how far from the hook you place your split shot. Ive always wondered how un natural this must look sometimes? Especially if your feeding a spread of boilies and there in the middle is a blatant pop up, acting very different to the loose offerings. Still it obviously works.
I think with the KD rig your hookbait must look a bit more natural?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
There are various reasons that the bait is popped up:
To critIically balance it to enable less resistance for improved take/hooking.
To provide a visual bait for the fish to see.
To stop it sinking into a silty bottom or being masked by debris.
To mimic the other food sources that will be dislodged off the bottom when the fish are feeding.

OP
Ask the questions why you feel the need to do it and don't be sucked into feeling that you have to do it.Think about how you are fishing and what you are looking for.
Use a shot and if you want to change the popped up distance you increase the risk of line damage if you want to experiment.
Use putty and you can continually experiment throughout the session.

As for looking natural then nothing looks more unnatural than a zigged boilie popped six foot off the bottom, but it catches a lot of fish.

Maverick

Site Supporter
I use a bottom bait with fake corn most of the time in the colder months and it has caught me many carp over the last couple of years so I have 100% confidence in it.

Sometimes I get a peg that may have a bit of weed or chod at the bottom which can sometimes result in me reeling in to find a strand of black weed on the hook or bait which puts the fish off taking the bait.
If casting around the peg I find the bottoms no cleaner elsewhere, I then start to wonder what kind of rubbish I'm fishing over. Its on these occasions I would like to pop the bait up just and inch or two to keep the hook and bait clean.

I did have this sittuation the other day and used a double floating corn weighted down with a split shot. I just wondered if the shot was causing a weak spot maybe on the hook length. The rig did produce one carp for me, a cracking 14lb common. It's proved to me that it works I just wondered if I could refine and improve the rig somewhat.

The KD rig has a proven track record for catching fish, but the set up sounds very much like fishing a wafter and with so many wafters/critically balanced wafters etc. on the market these days would they not be a better option than having a shot on the hair? Just a thought.

Silver fan 82

I use a bottom bait with fake corn most of the time in the colder months and it has caught me many carp over the last couple of years so I have 100% confidence in it.

Sometimes I get a peg that may have a bit of weed or chod at the bottom which can sometimes result in me reeling in to find a strand of black weed on the hook or bait which puts the fish off taking the bait.
If casting around the peg I find the bottoms no cleaner elsewhere, I then start to wonder what kind of rubbish I'm fishing over. Its on these occasions I would like to pop the bait up just and inch or two to keep the hook and bait clean.

I did have this sittuation the other day and used a double floating corn weighted down with a split shot. I just wondered if the shot was causing a weak spot maybe on the hook length. The rig did produce one carp for me, a cracking 14lb common. It's proved to me that it works I just wondered if I could refine and improve the rig somewhat.

The KD rig has a proven track record for catching fish, but the set up sounds very much like fishing a wafter and with so many wafters/critically balanced wafters etc. on the market these days would they not be a better option than having a shot on the hair? Just a thought.
Other options could be using half a bottom bait and half a pop up to create a balanced bait. Using Cork or foam to the same effect. It depends on what presentation you want to achieve. Or just buy some wafters?

rudd

Site Supporter
Once you have put the split shot on the line you probably won't be moving it so I don't really see how it will damage the line all that much? If you put the shot on the line you will put it however far away from the hook you want the corn to pop up, you're not constantly sliding it up and down the line so I don't see how it will damage the line. IMO tungsten putty is just another carpy gimmick.
Tungseren putty is a god send.
You can critically balance a buoyant bait without faf of changing shot or shearing bits of a shot off.
Can also add tiny bits to hooklength to pin it down

Silver fan 82

Tungseren putty is a god send.
You can critically balance a buoyant bait without faf of changing shot or shearing bits of a shot off.
Can also add tiny bits to hooklength to pin it down
To be fair mate I've never used it, just dismissed it as another gimmick but I like the idea of using small amounts on hook lengths. You have inspired me to give it a go.

rudd

Site Supporter
To be fair mate I've never used it, just dismissed it as another gimmick but I like the idea of using small amounts on hook lengths. You have inspired me to give it a go.
I first used on braided carp rigs but have since used on pole and waggler hooklengths as does not damage line?