Poor fella.. was i right or wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

markharding

went to my usual commercial today being a season ticket holder i have a key but was there about 10 mins before opening time so to speak and luckily gates were open so in theory any one could have gone in.

any hows i parked up and chose the peg i wanted which i had fished last week and had a think about it and a different plan of attack so to speak.

unpacked the car and seatbox set up, pole, feeder etc etc. was just about to throw my first bit of bait in and some guy walks up to me and says he was gutted as he fished there yesterday evening and before it shut prebaited a few areas around the swim etc, he wasn't arsey thou just more gutted. but i thought my stuffs here i had a plan of how i would fish it so kinda said unlucky in a polite manner and carried on.

the guy sat a peg down from me but not near his baited spots and started to fish. over the day we started chatting and to be fair he was a really nice chap he had just started fishing after a few years rest etc etc. which then got me thinking was i a bit harsh as i could in theory have moved quite easy when he got there.

but to top it all, over the course of the session i had, 18 perch, 7 carp, 4 bream 2 tench and a handfull of roach. all the fish were good sizes apart from some of the perch... that guy had 1 good carp and lost it in the lillys[:C] and i cant help thinking is pre baiting helped in some way.

was i wrong not offering him his prebaited swim when park was open when i got there so he could have been in there before even thou opening times were later really or would folks just say tuff should be quicker[:I]

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
That's a risk we take with pre-baiting, no guarantees you will get that peg, which is why if ever I do any I select a few swims and bait them all.

bluemack

Site Supporter
i would have thought if he put a polite notice up saying he had prebaited most people surely would acknowledge this.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I recall that people used to respect pre-baiting signs in Ireland and would have thought they should here also.

Personally I would have moved, but I'm a wimp and a softy.

kevb

was 'bigkevb'
what you got to look at mark is would he have moved for you ??

what proof have you got he prebaited ? its easy to say he prebaited because he wanted the peg you was one as it might have been one of the better pegs on the pond (which pond) and he knew that ????

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
An old cynic, like me, would be thinking did this man have a key? Did he pre-bait last night and then leave the gates open so he could get back in in the morning?
Would you have felt so guilty if he had landed the carp?
Nice chap or not, he didn't get there early enough.
First come first served, you can't reserve a peg.
[:T][:W]

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Move your feet - lose your seat [:D]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
The only time I have ever given up a spot is when fly-fishing. There's some bank side etiquette of moving on from your spot if someone else is moving down the bank fishing. I think it only applies to river fishing.[:T]
[:W]

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
As some have said, thats the risk of pre baiting.

"You snooze. you Lose"[:p]

But, I cant help wondering.......if its a commercial style water.....why would you need to pre bait anyhow??[;)]

trancer

i once had a load of bait left from a match so i mixed it all in brown crumb and filled in a peg on our local village pond where there were a lot of often elusive tench... so about eight that night i went to the pond with my tackle a low and behold... there was only one guy fishing...yep right where i had pre-baited... so i wandered over to him and asked how he was doing... "the best session of my life" he replied "but im on nights and have to leave about now so why dont you set up here" lol... yea he was a nice guy so i told him what had happened and he laughed his head off "look can i give you my number" he said "and the next time you pre-bait give me a call and i'll get the swim started for you" i had a great evening with over a dozen good sized tench...
the point being that when i got there it was his peg, and i wouldnt have dreamt of asking him to shift

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
had this on opening day about 2 seasons ago,

I had been down to a stretch on the kentish stour every night for a week,

each night I had fed a kilo of 10mm pellet and 4 pints of hemp in each of 5 swims that I intended to fish from 12.01 am on opening day night

gathered the gear together in great anticipation, opening day being that one day when your drooling to get back on flowing water,

drove the 15 mile over to canterbury humming little fishy tunes and with that big cheesy grin of the fishing fool etched widely on my face, loaded the barrow after parking as neatly as I could on the small estate that has the track leading from it down to the river, quietly wheeling it through the long grass and bushes, off I trundled

the half mile in pitch darkness, lit only by my headlamp passed in a blur of "will old whiskers be there, will I catch one type thoughts"

turning the corner on the bend of the river, I noticed a small glow ahead, "Fireflys?" whats that etc , carrying on,

every one of them 5 swims I had pre-baited was occupied, by one or two anglers in each,

micked off was not the words I used, not only where they occupied by swim thieves, these swim thieves were Mid-Kent specci anglers,

mid kent had already stolen a mile of what was free fishing water lower down this stretch of the river, and now the effing assholes had moved onto this stretch

i explained to the camo'd up tossers what i had been doing and was politely told to far cough

I HATE MID KENT WITH A VENGEANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carpcruncher23

Thats a bit harsh! 'Camo'd up tossers'!!?? How were they to know that you had been pre baiting?? No dout they will have paid money for their tickets and are well within their rights to fish where their tickets allow.
I know its annoying when that happens but its a chance that you take when pre-baiting, its happened a few times to myself.

Smileybri

happened a few years back to my bro,he had been raking and baiting a swim for weeks during the old close season,he went down late the night before the new season started and yes you guessed it,there were 2 fellas sat there tackled up and waiting for midnight.
he set up next to them and had to watch them bag up all night.

Boggis51

tailgunner
Site Supporter
It happened to me this year, I can walk to the river in my lunch hour, so for two weeks prior to the start of the season thats what I did, with either boilies or corn & hemp every day I baited up a swim, always carefull to make sure nobody was watching. On the 16th at 4.00am I arrived at the river, only one other angler, yep! thats right, in my bloody swim. I blanked, he had a great catch of bream and tench.

dhl man

formally known as
Originally posted by carpcruncher23

Thats a bit harsh! 'Camo'd up tossers'!!?? How were they to know that you had been pre baiting?? No dout they will have paid money for their tickets and are well within their rights to fish where their tickets allow.
I know its annoying when that happens but its a chance that you take when pre-baiting, its happened a few times to myself.
the kentish stour is free fishing within the city limits and to micks annoyance these mid kent blokes took up part of the free stretches , it is very annying really as they have taken over lakes , rivers and canals throughout kent and sussex
you know the saying
MONEY TALKS

Status
Not open for further replies.