Ponds and winter

62tucker

Site Supporter
Lifted my covers up today at the front to let some fresh warm wind in and more light.
went out at 5 to lower them back down and was surprised to see a few koi and my 2 orfe up the shallow end. Things are moving slowly. 👍 Happy days.
New shower media coming tomorrow👍

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Fish were looking quite active this afternoon. Might try them on a few pellets tomorrow if they're up again.

A couple of fish that were struggling with the cold seem to have perked up too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Down here in the south my fish have been very active since Saturday. Well no sign of the tench yet and the crucians aren't doing a great deal but the orfe and Rudd are not far shy of feeding off the top again. Crazy really given that they had almost a complete ice lid on them 10 days ago. Few colder mornings coming up which might slow them down again but still reasonable temperatures in the afternoons so might still feed just as well.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
The surface layers will warm up quicker and the orfe n Rudd happy with that.
my fish seem happy enough, all swimming around looking for food. Haven’t fed since Xmas day, will probably start again sunday

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can't wait to properly plant up my main pond when it warms up as had to do it half heartedly last year with the shops closed so it needs half redoing with better quality plants. My other pond that went in later has better quality plants and looks so much better so it's annoying me that I can't get the main one to the same standard for a few more weeks yet.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Can't wait to properly plant up my main pond when it warms up as had to do it half heartedly last year with the shops closed so it needs half redoing with better quality plants. My other pond that went in later has better quality plants and looks so much better so it's annoying me that I can't get the main one to the same standard for a few more weeks yet.
I put a couple of reeds in that did ok , I put a lilly in each pond ,which grew really well, but then the koi kept eating them until they were virtually gone 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

62tucker

Site Supporter
How’s everyone’s pond doing in this crazy weather. I still have my covers on and it’s May. But -2 forecast tonight so they be staying on. Water temperature around 10ish but was 14 a while back.
Noticing loads on YouTube have flukes troubles and a lot of them are heated all winter ponds.
Hope get a delivery of some new koi next week. 👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Mine seem to be ok, they’re skulking around a bit today, but still came up to feed this morning, top picture is the bigger pond , lower picture is the smaller one, which has much smaller fish in C0906D9C-FD35-4B18-86F1-49777E657FC9.jpeg F533794D-B975-4FA3-87DB-FAF58DD0AFF7.jpeg
Paid £50 for this last week. Couldn’t turn it down for that price really. Treatment tub or many more uses 2ft deep 2&1/2 ft wide 4ft long B2E78486-5F88-4D33-825A-73B415CC509D.jpeg
It’s quite in-depth, I’m just kind of learning as I go along, I’ve had no disasters yet 🤞apart from a heron came and took 2 big orange goldfish 😡so I’ve built some frames with netting on that drop over the ponds, which has dettered it .... it took a while for the fish to get confident again to come for food , I introduced a few more fish , and they’re alright now ....I wouldn’t know how to go about treating fish or even when they needed it , unless there were obvious signs 💁‍♂️