Ponds and winter

62tucker

Site Supporter
Does anyone with a garden pond every test the oxygen content of their pond. Watched a video yesterday where it was tested with a simple kit similar to how I test my other parameters. But I never knew you could get a simple kit.
I put a kit in my basket and gone to buy it today and sold out. 🤯Can’t find them anywhere for the price.
eBay got some on from Germany.
JBL test kit.
Would be interesting to test some pond water in the summer
Here’s the video if anyone interested. A lot of info about what temp and oxygen

62tucker

Site Supporter
Surprised to see what fish were constantly the highest up in the pond. Had GoPro in for a few hrs.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Be carefully were you buy from. We have to pay an import tax now. Heard on radio the other day about people buying off Amazon and the goods going from EU. they couldn’t deliver until tax was paid

62tucker

Site Supporter
Got myself a oxygen test kit for 1st time ever tested it today
Big pond. Little pond. Old rain water. Not convinced they are any good. Or maybe it’s the temperature of the water 59D4C770-1145-4F7F-AF6C-44B694F5875A.jpeg

62tucker

Site Supporter
Probably
It’s only hot still days when ya need worry.
Days are warming up
Pond temperature on the rise. Says 6.8 on my gauge. Dropped a few sinking wheatgerm in today and when I looked a hour later they were gone.
10% water change yesterday
Fish seem a bit more active.
Question. 1st time I have covered my pond. What’s your rules for removing them. Is it a temperature thing or just a date thing. Or do you do a remove for a few hrs a day when it warms up a bit more. 👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
@chefster We still got this stuff up here in the shade. Even though it’s sunny and warm. 94B8A51F-84E6-4B97-93FC-4EEF3A6DA90D.jpeg
A lot milder now in our neck of the woods , the fish are really active now, up until a couple of weeks ago, I was having to break the ice off of them every day 🤷‍♂️

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Days are warming up
Pond temperature on the rise. Says 6.8 on my gauge. Dropped a few sinking wheatgerm in today and when I looked a hour later they were gone.
10% water change yesterday
Fish seem a bit more active.
Question. 1st time I have covered my pond. What’s your rules for removing them. Is it a temperature thing or just a date thing. Or do you do a remove for a few hrs a day when it warms up a bit more. 👍
Upto you tucks. I cover to keep the wind chill off. The wind can take a couple of dec off the temps. When you check the weather it says 9dec feels like 3. That’s why I cover, to try and keep the temperature lost to happen over a slow period.
some take covers off in one other a bit at a time. Some during day and back on in evening. I’ve had one jump and hit the covers plus it’s flashed a bit. I suspect flukes and the treatment says treat at 10dec so I’ll leave my covers on until I can treat. Don’t fancy finding a fish on the patio one morning.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Upto you tucks. I cover to keep the wind chill off. The wind can take a couple of dec off the temps. When you check the weather it says 9dec feels like 3. That’s why I cover, to try and keep the temperature lost to happen over a slow period.
some take covers off in one other a bit at a time. Some during day and back on in evening. I’ve had one jump and hit the covers plus it’s flashed a bit. I suspect flukes and the treatment says treat at 10dec so I’ll leave my covers on until I can treat. Don’t fancy finding a fish on the patio one morning.
One of the fluke solve treatments we have says from 3degrees C8E48FC6-5F2B-41AC-B348-CC55305FF664.jpeg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mine's been uncovered all winter and the fish got a few maggots yesterday but didn't seem overly enthusiastic.
Steve the Sturgeon got a few pellets and mopped them up.
The thing is even with the milder weather it will still take a while for the cold to come out of the water without sunshine

Total

Site Supporter
Mine's been uncovered all winter and the fish got a few maggots yesterday but didn't seem overly enthusiastic.
Steve the Sturgeon got a few pellets and mopped them up.
The thing is even with the milder weather it will still take a while for the cold to come out of the water without sunshine
Ya water pump all sorted and working ok now?:unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My pond has a slow leak. Dad reckons it's the pipe to the pump for the fountain. He's had it all out today but didn't find the leak.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I've just been out to the pond - the fish are starting to get active and just about looked like wanting food.

I will leave it for a bit though, lots of double digit days forecast ahead, so I might drop in a few pellets towards the end of the week if they look hungry.