Ponds and winter

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
You guys take pond / fish keeping to the next level 😂😂I’ve just got 2 raised timber ponds , with pump/UV filters and fish in 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
You guys take pond / fish keeping to the next level 😂😂I’ve just got 2 raised timber ponds , with pump/UV filters and fish in 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂
Sometimes the simpler it is and the less you mess about the better . Im sure yours is lovely 😍. The main probs i had was introducing new fish ,no quarantine pond ,i did treat them in a potassium permanganate or strong salt dip at 3oz per gallon for a few minutes . For me its filtration ,filtration and more filtration and good water. Peter Waddington says become a water keeper first ,learn all you can about that and the fish will be happy and healthy .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
All my koi ,seem to be doing alright 🤷‍♂️I’ve got no covers over pond , still have the filters/pumps running, they are still feeding ok certain days ....mind you we have better weather down this way
Our fish are still in shorts and flip-flops :D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All my koi ,seem to be doing alright 🤷‍♂️I’ve got no covers over pond , still have the filters/pumps running, they are still feeding ok certain days ....mind you we have better weather down this way
Same been nothing dramatic to do or going on with mine either. Think it is simply down to our better weather.

My fish were behaving more or less the same as they did in the summer (apart from the tench in hibernation) until back end of November when they did slow down to not doing or eating much. Still fed up until Christmas but they haven't wanted much since probably due to the constant cold although it hasn't frozen yet and doubt it will now given how cold it was. Only thing that I've done differently to the summer is not having to do algae treatment and doing more leaf sweeping.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I only have 3 goldfish in my small pond and my dad fed them for the first time in weeks this morning as it's gone a bit milder, they all ate one 'pellet' each then left the rest.

62tucker

Site Supporter

Arnie the one that was acting strange on Sunday is at 46 seconds on above video.
When I netted him last year I could believe how fat and round he is. Even swims like a fat thing. Like a wobble. 🤞 he’s ok. Named fish are like pets to me and my son.

robert d

Site Supporter
Got this for Xmas and busy reading it. Also been reading on the koikichi website. ps I think Peter waddington passed away a few months ago. RIP.
57C4A857-1EF8-4273-A70B-D52DBFB16623.jpg
Shame to hear that . He was fantastic koi keeper . His books are brilliant and explain all you need to know

robert d

Site Supporter

Arnie the one that was acting strange on Sunday is at 46 seconds on above video.
When I netted him last year I could believe how fat and round he is. Even swims like a fat thing. Like a wobble. 🤞 he’s ok. Named fish are like pets to me and my son.
Wow some lovely fish there , very clear water ,🥰

62tucker

Site Supporter
Did quite a good bit of GoPro filming of one of my ponds back in September will have to see if I can edit and upload it.
For some reason I can’t upload videos atm off iPhone so uploading them to YouTube then posting a link on here. Technology 🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
For some reason I can’t upload videos atm off iPhone so uploading them to YouTube then posting a link on here. Technology 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I can't get them on here straight from iPhone either, we must be doing something wrong can't be impossible 🤔

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Did I post the video of mine were you can hear the fish crunching the mealworm?
I think for iphone you watch the video in edit mode and then it’s ok to post!! Might have changed now they’ve updated iOS

62tucker

Site Supporter
Yeah I can't get them on here straight from iPhone either, we must be doing something wrong can't be impossible 🤔
Think dave said it was something to do with the site and was reported a while ago and going to look at it next update.
My iPhone or iPad used to upload videos no problems.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Did I post the video of mine were you can hear the fish crunching the mealworm?
I think for iphone you watch the video in edit mode and then it’s ok to post!! Might have changed now they’ve updated iOS
Can’t remember seeing it. But would like to