Ponds and winter

62tucker

Site Supporter
It’s not needed once the temperature drops, there’s enough oxygen in the water. I usually just turn them off during the months of Dec, Jan & Feb. Apparently, turning off the air stones actually warms up the water very slightly as there is less movement of water
That’s next job. Insulation on my shower filter. Or do I have a think and turn everything off till March

62tucker

Site Supporter
Glad I got my covers on. 0 degrees forecast tonight.
Does everyone still do weekly water changes or drop down to fortnightly.
Just thinking I don’t want to put loads of new cold water in.
But never thought before what temp my tap water is.
But will test it today

Robwooly

Would regional temperatures affect the Koi more in the North than South? My pond at my dads is always left open with the filters on and all the fish including Koi tough it out through winter with usually no deaths due to the cold. Never thought of covering it and found the moving water from the pump keeps any ice from forming too quick, but then again London is pretty warm, probably not the best way but some of the Tench in there are over 30 years old.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I would have thought the further north the colder it is. I’ve always noticed the temps difference when I’ve visited London.
My main reason for covering is to keep the wind chill off. It just stops massive temps changes for one day to another.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I would have thought the further north the colder it is. I’ve always noticed the temps difference when I’ve visited London.
My main reason for covering is to keep the wind chill off. It just stops massive temps changes for one day to another.
What about winter water changes?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Pond was 8.5 last week.
10 yesterday with covers on.
but could be just warming in general.
Doing a bit of a study.
Outside temp.
covered pond.
uncover water butt

62tucker

Site Supporter
Only 3 degrees when I went out earlier but 10 still in pond. ?.
put temperature gauge in water butt and that was reading 7.
I bought a new gauge with outside temp and in water temp and also show highest and lowest and water temperature hardly moves over a week compared to outside temp.
This is with my covers on now and shower double wrapped with bubble wrap.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
What about winter water changes?
Sorry tucks. Yes I would do but don’t worry if you miss a week or only do 5%. I’m trickle in trickle out now so it’s done automatically. Water from the mains is usually warm enough as it’s underground.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Sorry tucks. Yes I would do but don’t worry if you miss a week or only do 5%. I’m trickle in trickle out now so it’s done automatically. Water from the mains is usually warm enough as it’s underground.
They still seem to want to eat at 10degrees. A few sinking wheat germ 3/4 mm pellets

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
It won’t do them any harm. I stop feeding at Xmas and leave them until end January but longer if it’s not gone above 6dec.
There should plenty of food on the walls if they need it.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Saturday check
Max outside 17.5 minimum 0.9
Max pond 11.3. Minimum 8.5
So hopefully the covers are doing a job

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just lost an Albino Grass Carp (about 5lb) after the snow and ice the last few days.
It looked healthy enough apart from a kink in it's back that it's had for ages, so just one of those things and part of keeping pond fish

62tucker

Site Supporter
I've just lost an Albino Grass Carp (about 5lb) after the snow and ice the last few days.
It looked healthy enough apart from a kink in it's back that it's had for ages, so just one of those things and part of keeping pond fish
Funny as I checked mine on Sunday and one of my named fish. Arnie didn’t look right at all. Swimming around with the rest but tail up and head down. He’s a carp about 6 years old. Had my camera in last week having a close look and he seemed ok then. He was still going yesterday but not checked today

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
How many of you cover your ponds over winter?
I do and I put them on yesterday. This morning they were swimming round as normal. The week before they were sat floating mid depth until it warmed up. Definitely makes a difference to me.
I used to cover my pond with 32mm polycarbonate. Used to heat it before but cost megabucks ,tried independently heating with a gas boiler and also tried electric.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
All my koi ,seem to be doing alright 🤷‍♂️I’ve got no covers over pond , still have the filters/pumps running, they are still feeding ok certain days ....mind you we have better weather down this way

62tucker

Site Supporter
1st year I have 25 mm polycarbonate cover. Definitely keeping warmer a bit. And no ice or freezing rain going in.
Pumps and air on 24/7. And still doing water change but every 2 weeks atm.

robert d

Site Supporter
Glad I got my covers on. 0 degrees forecast tonight.
Does everyone still do weekly water changes or drop down to fortnightly.
Just thinking I don’t want to put loads of new cold water in.
But never thought before what temp my tap water is.
But will test it today
I used to have a continual feed of water going in ,just a trickle ,with an overflow to the drain . A really goid way of heating a pond free is if you have the energy and time is to have a compost heap around the pond in winter , nice and deep . I wanted to do that and put a nice looking dome over the top with sliding doors ,if not it was going to be a polycarbed sided construction with a flat roof .

robert d

Site Supporter
All my koi ,seem to be doing alright 🤷‍♂️I’ve got no covers over pond , still have the filters/pumps running, they are still feeding ok certain days ....mind you we have better weather down this way
The longer you have koi the hardier they become ,the main thing for me was to do a scrape when needed but especially towards winter to identify any parasites and treat accordingly with the right parasitic treatment . I used a microscope and many books for reference. Koi2kichi was my favorite book. There are some lovely british koi ,nice and hardy ,never been in heated ponds .

robert d

Site Supporter
The longer you have koi the hardier they become ,the main thing for me was to do a scrape when needed but especially towards winter to identify any parasites and treat accordingly with the right parasitic treatment . I used a microscope and many books for reference. Koi2kichi was my favorite book. There are some lovely british koi ,nice and hardy ,never been in heated ponds .
Peter Waddington is a very respected koi keeper ,by the Japanese, and all around the world . He wrote koi2kichi ,some brilliant articles in the book and interesting stories of koi keeping