Ponds and winter

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
How many of you cover your ponds over winter?
I do and I put them on yesterday. This morning they were swimming round as normal. The week before they were sat floating mid depth until it warmed up. Definitely makes a difference to me.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I aint got a pond but a mate has made like a Cover with Netting they Put round Scaffolds, it can be lifted on and off. He says it works Great.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I do and I put them on yesterday. This morning they were swimming round as normal. The week before they were sat floating mid depth until it warmed up. Definitely makes a difference to me.
Need to get one sorted. Been looking a wickes polycarbonate sheet

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been thinking about it myself. My tench have gone into semi hibernation mode in the last couple weeks but the orfe, rudd and crucians are still pretty active. Not to the extent that they were a couple weeks ago but certainly not in cold water mode yet so I don't think I'l need to do anything before the end of this month.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I aint got a pond but a mate has made like a Cover with Netting they Put round Scaffolds, it can be lifted on and off. He says it works Great.
I mean a cover to keep the heat in and cold out.
This time of year the temps can change rapidly and upset koi. Polycarbonate sheets can slow heat lost. Best to lose heat slowly. A cover also keeps the wind chill off.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Mine hasn't gone on yet. When I first got my small pond I was looking to buy some polycarbonate sheet and cut it to size. However, whilst at the tidy tip, a bloke was unloading loads, which he had cut to fit in his car. It was as though he had measured it for me, as it's the perfect fit.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Never have even thought of covering my pond. Fish (goldfish) seem to want feeding all year round.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Gold fish are hardy. They’ll survive anything. Kio are inbread and have very little immune systems

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Had to put our mesh cover over last week as a young heron has started to come visit. Very early really. It’s usually November / December when they start paying me a visit.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Been looking at sheets today.
what the best. 10mm or 16mm
For what I need I be needing 6 sheets 2.5 by 0.9.
10mm £26
16mm £40

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Thicker the better but at the end of the day they’ll all keep the wind off. Mine are only 10mm. My main reason is the keep the wind chill off and allow the temps to drop slowly.

62tucker

Site Supporter
B021A522-0FF2-4B41-A859-B8A78538698A.jpeg Covers on and need secured properly and a few tweaks to stop wind getting in.
got 2 on my smaller pond and temperature is 2 degree more than bigger pond after 2 days. Just need some sun now to warm them back up. Might not look neat but I am over the moon the way they have worked out. Can lift them up to check fish and feed as still after food.
100% wheat germ atm. 31A97C17-94C5-4101-BC0A-95E227BD7890.jpeg

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I never put a cover on my pond. The only things I do are to turn off the air stones & the UV filter as they are not needed in winter

62tucker

Site Supporter
I never put a cover on my pond. The only things I do are to turn off the air stones & the UV filter as they are not needed in winter
I never have before but thought I take the plunge this winter. All last minute as only order after the start of this thread. But Have always left my air on 24/7

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I never have before but thought I take the plunge this winter. All last minute as only order after the start of this thread. But Have always left my air on 24/7
It’s not needed once the temperature drops, there’s enough oxygen in the water. I usually just turn them off during the months of Dec, Jan & Feb. Apparently, turning off the air stones actually warms up the water very slightly as there is less movement of water