Pond water test?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Any amateur pond keepers( well I know there is). What water test kit do you use. I have been using the nt labs multi tests . 6 different test in the one box. But I get poor KH so always use that up before the rest so was looking for bigger individual ones. I sure I seen then use a bigger 1 i a koi shop once but can’t remember where or when. The kit only has 10 ml in.
Also do commercials test there water. ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@62tucker

There is this one. Enough for between 100 and 200 tests...£5.86

I don't know about other waters, but our club waters are tested twice a year being as there is a farm at one side of them with a stream (the stream feeds the lakes). This might go up to 3 times a year.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
You can buy them individually
I don’t think commies need to test like koi ponds. Koi have weak immune systems to to inbreeding. Mirrors and common carp etc are hardy fish. Also if a commie has a problem I think they usually drag the EA in for test.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our club lakes aren't 'commies', but still get tested twice a year because the stream that feeds the lakes also goes through a farmers property before getting to the lakes. We do our own testing but WILL bring in the EA if our tests prove to be a bit 'iffy'.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I put some bicarbonate soda in and done a 10/20% water change and retested last night and the KH had gone up to 6/7ish so well happy. Tested other pond and that was 4/5 so need more bicarbonate for that one.
I tested the rainwater and that was about 1 so my guess is all the rain we have had has effected the KH