Pond sticks as bait?

Hi all. Had an idea the other day i bought pond sticks fishfood to try as bait next time i go out I think they would work well after all pond fish seem to like them. I think I'll soak some and hook them and try some on a bait band.
Has anybody else tried this? I'm surprised ive never heard of anybody using them before since they are so cheap and made for fish.

Dslayer

dslayer
Hi all. Had an idea the other day i bought pond sticks fishfood to try as bait next time i go out I think they would work well after all pond fish seem to like them. I think I'll soak some and hook them and try some on a bait band.
Has anybody else tried this? I'm surprised ive never heard of anybody using them before since they are so cheap and made for fish.
I use them in my groundbait.... Coarsely ground they rise to the surface as the balls break up on the bottom...

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
In the early 1970s we used to grind them up and mix them with other things to make paste before trout pellets became more easily sourced

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Expander pellets are/were just floating pond fish food. No reason for the sticks to be any different.

fredradac

Site Supporter
Had the same thought a few weeks ago n bought a kilo from a local pet shop not realising that they float, doh!!! Anyway I ground them up and made into paste without much success I have to admit.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Well the pond sticks I feed my fish with go mushy after a minute or so in water !! So how can you hook them or band them ??