Pollington, Aire & Calder.

Stealth

Thinking about a late trip to the big canals before the weather turns. Any reports of catches from the Pollington section.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thinking about a late trip to the big canals before the weather turns. Any reports of catches from the Pollington section.
Both myself and Nicky Dodds fish the Aire & Calder two or three times a week. We were at Pollington a week or so ago. I fished the A&C at Rawcliffe yesterday. What would you like to know mate ? Ill help you where I can. Nicky knows the canal better than any other angler I know in my opinion.

david white

Site Supporter
Had a trip there a couple of weeks back, two of us fished ( around about pegs 380 381 I think )neither had much joy on the feeder across to the far bank both caught roach perch and the odd skimmer/bream on the pole at 8 and 14.5 mts ( well my mate did my max on the pole is a 11 mts not that it made much difference than 8 mts if I’m honest I did lose a 4lb ish bream first put in on the pole which I don’t think done me any favours ! )
Even though it wasn’t a great day catch wise and only my 3rd visit I really rate the venue in my book it’s proper natural fishing for fish you have to fish for if you get my meaning

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Myself and a few others are travelling to Goole on Sunday / Monday to fish the canal, we have never fished Rawcliffe bridge area, by the Sugar mill ponds, or the marina, we are thinking of trying these two places or down at New bridge, so any recent catch news would be brill, l was thinking of making a few phone calls tomorrow to see what l could find out.
Thanks in advance.

Stealth

Not really interested in sitting on the tip, I'd much prefer a day's roach fishing on the pole. Got a day free to go with a mate on Friday, but much depends on the weather as it can be a bit wide open in the Polly section. Often fish the Junction but the colour is starting to drop out now.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Me at New bridge on tuesday after winning a small 15 man flyer. Only had 8 bites but 2nd had less than 1lb and plenty of dry nets on a very hard day.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Yes mate all on the tip, double dead red maggot, black groundbait with caster and chopped worm added, recast every 5 to 7 minutes. Rod was a cadence 10ft #2 feeder, reel was an old map acs ( l think thats its name lol ) and sensor 4lb line.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Nice set up Phil. Still sore but things improving if slowly, can’t see me fishing till well into the New Year

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Hi Simon, you will know when your ready to go again, dont try and rush back, somewhere like Bunty's would be a good starting point mate, nice and local for you and no long walk.
I Made a mistake last night the line was actually Matrix Submerge 3llb.

Nicky Dodds

Yes mate all on the tip, double dead red maggot, black groundbait with caster and chopped worm added, recast every 5 to 7 minutes. Rod was a cadence 10ft #2 feeder, reel was an old map acs ( l think thats its name lol ) and sensor 4lb line.
Did you go over to the tins or down the shelf?

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I was down the shelf mate, we fished down by Sugar mill ponds the day before, and l found a few bream down the shelf, so that was to be my target zone for Tuesday.

Your not kidding it was a decent walk, a good job l am quite fit and do a good deal of walking every day, and l didnt even have a trolley with me so l did the walk twice before the match, but was given a hand taking the gear back to the car park.
In the photo in the distance there is a boat turning area, if l had been on my own l would probably carried on to there or upto the wooded area. Maybe next time.

Nicky Dodds

I finally got a draw opposite the trees near the motorway bridge in our last team match about a month ago. The bream had been holed up in that area since the first match of the series and guess what? They'd gone! Even Kayleigh smith who had drawn the bridge peg had to fish for small fish. You've done well to catch bream at the back of the sugar mill ponds as it's been relatively poor this summer the wides have been more consistent.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
@ Nicky Dodds
As to the motorway bridge area, where is the best access and is the parking ok. Whats the distance from the parking to the pegs roughly? We wont be back there again this year, and it could next summer at the earliest.

Nicky Dodds

@nutmeg
I'm afraid it's a hell of a trek whichever way you look at it to the motorway bridge. One option is to park at the start of rawcliffe wides and walk the full 35 pegs which are on average 20m apart. It may not look too bad at a glance but it is tufty grass with hidden boulders and ruts and even with the best of barrows you lose the will to live after 150m. There have been instances of cars driving all the way along the bank but this is frowned upon and a post has been driven in at about sump height to try and prevent this.
The other option is park at newbridge and walk but it's about 55 pegs and the terrain I is just as bad.
For the team matches and nationals that have been on there in recent years, our league organiser has an agreement with a local farmer whereby he allow access through his fields to the canal bank and we can drive (weather permitting) to within about 50m of the motorway bridge. This only happens late august/early September after the farmers crops have been harvested. There is never any other access to the public I'm afraid.