Pollen

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The curse of spring on some lakes, like fallen leaves in Autumn, but this stuff sticks to your line. Fishing with my dad the other day, I had some on my line and it cut a couple of casts short, then my dad had some on his line and I could hear it rattling through the rings.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
That white fluff from the willow trees is a right pain, always glad when it stops falling. With that, and fish spawning in this weather, tomorrow’s match should be a bundle of fun 😂

stikflote

Site Supporter
i thought that white stuff came off Plane trees i might be wrong tho very often am

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The worst is crack willow pollen.
Salix × fragilis, with the common names crack willow and brittle willow, is a hybrid species of willow native to Europe and Western Asia. It is native to riparian habitats, usually found growing beside rivers and streams, and in marshes and water meadow channels.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That willow fluff stuff is brutal can be a proper session killer. Will be about any day now I’d imagine as always comes at some point in May.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
that stuff is a nightmare when feeder fishing cloggs up guides you have to pick it out every cast still got some stuck to my landing net from last year

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Hate willow fluff, it’s the bane of my life on my local.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I fished at Raleigh pond as a kid we used to get sap dripping from the trees. It was a devil to get off your gear and if you didn’t wear a hat you couldn’t get a comb through your hair for a week.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you wind in with it on the line it can go on the spool of the reel. Nightmare. I think the only thing that annoys me similarly I can think of is Coots diving in my peg. You could hook them if not careful.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
If you wind in with it on the line it can go on the spool of the reel. Nightmare. I think the only thing that annoys me similarly I can think of is Coots diving in my peg. You could hook them if not careful.
Been there and got the tee shirt mate, strange feeling playing something up in the air🥴🥴🥴

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A bloke who fishes my estate lake has told me twice now he's hooked them and accidentally killed them.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
A bloke who fishes my estate lake has told me twice now he's hooked them and accidentally killed them.
I ve unhooked a couple and, thankfully, they’ve swam off no worse for wear👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I ve unhooked a couple and, thankfully, they’ve swam off no worse for wear👍
Yeah he was pretty cut up about the fact he killed them. I don't know the circumstances but he likely would have had an audience too being in a public place.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I hooked a duck once while fishing from a boat on Filby broad, the fight in the air was at best described as interesting however it had nothing on the fight that followed when I got it in the boat and tried to remove the hook, luckily there were 2 of us and my brother wrestled with it trying to keep it still while I removed the hook, thankfully we got the hook out and the duck flew off with nothing more than a bit of a scare and a couple of small feathers missing.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I love all the dust, pollen and other spring bits and bobs on the surface.
When the wind blows it into a corner you get a lovely scum line which is guaranteed to hold surface feeding pond pigs 😉

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Funny how if you do catch and land a coot then all the others seem to go away.

Dslayer

dslayer
Been there and got the tee shirt mate, strange feeling playing something up in the air🥴🥴🥴
Had same with a moorhen in 11' of water at Himley Hall, Dudley... not even a diving bird yet still picked up my ledgered bait in that depth of water (not as sinking bait as had settled for severa minutes)... Bobbin flew up, alarm screaming, struck at line flew up out of the water... played for several minutes until managed to net with help of a fellow angler ... hook released from bill and bird flew away screaming it's complaints over the far side of the pool and beyond!!!