POLICE FISHING COMP CASTS OFF WITH LAUNCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookit

Account Locked
POLICE FISHING COMP CASTS OFF WITH LAUNCH

West Yorkshire Police's 14th annual fishing Competition for young anglers
has officially been launched for those under 18.

At stake is the chance to fish alongside the David Beckham of the angling
world; 4 times World Champion and angling legend Bob Nudd.

A number of application forms have already been sent out to those who
fished last year. However, others wishing to compete in this years
competition are urged to apply for their forms now and get their
applications sent in as places are limited.

The event takes place at the Calder/ Hebble Canal, Horbury, Wakefield on
the 4 August 2007 and has places for under 18's and under 15's on the day
of the match.

Force Photographer David Speight is organising the event and explains more
about the day.

"The draw for the competition will take place at the Police Training School
at Bishopgarth in Wakefield at 8am and then the fishing will take place
between 10:30am and 2:30pm before the presentations back at Bishopgarth."

"This year, four lucky anglers will be able to fish with angling legend 4
times world champion Bob Nudd MBE on Tuesday 21st August 2007, in addition
to a range of fantastic prizes at least down to 3rd in section. Last year
everybody got a prize, however, this relies upon levels of donations this
time around." Prizes are not guaranteed for everyone taking part.

"Posters for the competition have been placed in Police Stations and many
fishing tackle shops across West Yorkshire. This competition has always
proved to be a great success and a lot of fun for those involved. If you
want to experience a great day, get your application in now."

Application forms can be obtained from Anne Shaw in the Community Safety
department at West Yorkshire Police on 01924 292271. Places are on a
first come first serve basis and all those who get a place will receive a
pack with ticket and rules. Anyone who fished last year and has changed
addresses since must also call in for an application if they wish to
compete.

hookit

Account Locked
The following information is a guide to the various sections on the canal.
The Navigation Inn length Calder Grove ( permanent pegs 1-43 ) , The first 14 pegs on this section don't have any bank side cover at all but the section still fishes well. Its about 15 metres wide and around 2 metres deep down the track. During the Summer months lots of Roach, Perch, Skimmers and the odd Gudgeon can be caught at 9 metres. Fine light groundbait with Squat and Pinkie will catch well.Hook lengths .08, 22/24 size hooks on a 4 tens or a 4 twelve's float. The bottom of the nearside shelf, about 4 metres will also produce.The expected winning weight on these pegs should be around 5lbs.

The remainder of this length ( permanent pegs 15 to 43 ) have lots of far bank cover with trees on both sides of the canal. The width has increased to around sixteen metres with the track depth at 2 metres . Fishing down the track and the bottom of the nearside shelf again will produce Roach and Perch on fine tackle. These pegs also hold better fish on the far shelf (14 metres plus) with caster and worm a good bait for the Chub,Bream and Perch. If the bigger fish show 7lb would be possible.

The next section of canal ( pegs 44 to 70 ) is about 500 metres along the canal ( over head cables between 43 to 44 ). The access is down Balk Lane off Blacker Lane Netherton ( signposted Netherton Cricket Club )

The canal is about 16 metres wide with track depth 2 metres there are features on the far bank pegs 55 to 64 which hold good Bream, Worm Caster and Red Maggot usually succeed. The early pegs 44 to 54 don't have features but plenty of Roach and Perch show. The pegs 65 to 70 are in the open but Roach Perch and Skimmers show well. Fine tackle with Squat and Pinkie will take plenty of small fish. Some of the Bream in this length go to 3 lb and a weight of 7lbs to 10lbs could be on.

Further along the canal , pegs 71 to 90 have access down the lane through the Bingley Arms car park ( a key is required ). The Pub is on the A 642 at Horbury Bridge about 3 miles out of Wakefield towards Huddersfield. The lane leads to a car park for about 25 cars with access onto the towpath at peg 90, at this section the canal width is around 14 metres with 2 metres depth down the track.The lower half of the section has a wide bed of rushes on the far bank with only 0.5 metre depth at on the far shelf, again Roach, Perch and Skimmers are the target although a few good Skimmers show occasionally about the 1.5lb size. Pegs 80 to 90 have a good range of far bank cover with good Chub, Bream Perch and Roach responding to Caster and Worm.

Pegs 91 to 110 run from the Bingley Arms (peg 110 ) to the Angling Club Car Park ( peg 91 ) and are accessed down the lane through the pub car park ( key required ).
This section narrows to around 14metres wide and just under 2 metres deep down the track
and has a rock face on the far side , plenty of Roach, Perch and a few chub are on this length , the higher pegs generally produce the most fish.

The canal above the Bingley Arms Bridge is accessed from the lane opposite the pub and starts at peg 111 and up to peg 127 it is around 20 metres wide, again the track depth is around 2 metres (at 8 to 9 metres ) and shallows to 1 metre depth past 14 metres. The bottom of the nearside shelf is around 4 metres. There is a gap between 119 and 120 which is the entrance to a small boat mooring area ( about 8 boats ) This section generally produces some good weights due to the abundance of Bream and Chub that are resident along this length, These fish generally stay on the far side of the canal and are caught on long pole ( 14 metres plus ), Waggler , Bomb or Feeder, The Bream go to 3lbs and the Chub to 4lbs and are taken on worm, caster,corn and maggot. In October 2006 peg 126 produced 36 lbs of Bream and Chub on the pole ( 14 metres ) worm hookbait over a bed of Casters and chopped Worm . There are lots of smaller fish down the track or the nearside along the length.
Should the Bream decide to feed on the day a good double figure weight could be on but if they don't 6lbs is possible on smaller fish.

This information is from the Wakefield AC web site.

www.wakefieldac.co.uk

hookit

Account Locked
Originally posted by JONJOE

If I wear my old school shorts can I fish it Dave, am 34 now!!![:eek:)]

Sorry mate I cannot get away with it so im not letting anyone else.
When I think its the 14th match which was going to be a one off?
The last one maybe the first Saturday August 2010. I retire on the 8th. I hope someone else takes it up.

Last edited:

Towpath Tyke

Couldn`t someone start a sister forum? pinkiedrowning.com for intermediates and squatdrowning.com for juniors??? [:)]

Hatman

Drawbag ace
And pelletdrowning.com for those who only fish commercials?

I've emailed you regarding a donation hookit.

pegasus

benny
i read about this in the evening paper david, it sounds interesting, good luck with the fishing mate you deserve it.

Chris Taylor

I cant catch roach
Dave
Can you tell me where your pegging the under 15's or are you pegging them inbetween the under 18's?

Do pike count?

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
At stake is the chance to fish alongside the David Beckham of the angling
world; 4 times World Champion and angling legend Bob Nudd.

LOL, not quite the David Beckham, more like the Gary Lineker[:D] Top prize though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.