Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooky

other than accurate feeding and putting a float right over the feed area

what does a pole actually offer over a rod except more

most people that fish matches go for heavy weights on con mercial waters so the need for finesse is out the window

batman

You would have to be good with a rod to get in some of the places you can put a pole rig, very good infact.
Of course matches are also won on pellet wags and feeders amongst others but they all have their place.

dstev

Dave
Ability to hit bites quicker and more flexibility when playing a fish (elastic).

And not all pole users are commercial fisherman you know....

270181pimp

a rod just doesnt have the accuarcey of a pole or the bite to strike speed and if you miss a bite on a pole your straight back in, also you can lift and drop your bait to entice a bite, dont get me wrong i use rods for feeder or pellett waggler when i need to but i must admit i use my pole 90% of the time.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
You can land bigger fish quicker on a pole. I have proved this to myself by switching between the two.

Yesterday was able to put a float 1 foot from the far bank at 13+ metres with toss pot for accurate feeding, fishing 8 inches deep (4 inch float, 4 inch hooklenghth). No way would you be able to cast that accurately with a waggler or fish that shallow particularly with a far bank tree impeding the cast. And the splash of a landing waggler may well have spooked the fish in shallow water.

I too carry feeder and float rods just in case the swim demands. Like Tuesday evening I caught more on the waggler than the pole. But the swim I drew was probably the only swim out of 40 on the lake where this would work IMHO.

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Bait presentation with apole can be done with more finesse,especially when fishing a canal or pool that is weedy, or for dropping your bait right up tight against lilly pads, and through the gaps in between, also if there is any tow or drag on a canal, the pole is superior at holding the float back on the line you are fishing cookyr mate.[:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Forgot that - middle of the river, flat float and holding stationary, you can't to that with a rod.

davebike

Only 2 advantages to me of the pole are
The ability place my gear and ground bait exactly where I want including at times the other side of a lilly bed and be able to pull fish away from it! not into it as would happen with a rod
The other is to be able to fish light extremely sensitive float gear way to light to cast accurately

future star

Here fishy fishy
i find that you get a lot more pleasure off of landing a fish on the pole than on a rod
[^]

Status
Not open for further replies.