poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Johnson

hi again thanks for the warm welcome,im looking for a good alround pole 16m ive about 1000/1500 to spend

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Brian and here's another warm welcome, welcome on board

If you go to the Tackle Shops page using the drop down box on the left under the Maggot you'll find links to most tackle manufacturers including some of the top pole ones, Milo, Browning, etc.

We haven't got Garbolini as yet and the only reference I can find to it is this: http://www.garbolino.fr/

The best advice I can give when buying a pole is to try 'the feel' of it yourself before buying as what is good and balanced for some may not be for others. Take Stu for instance - a 30ft scaffold pole will feel light to him

Regards, Dave

martin.

Account Locked
hi B.J.
firstly welcome to the mad MDs
ive been looking at a few different poles since season finnished & although ive looked at several makes my personal favourites are diawa
as i already have there 13m 111carp pole, 14.5m matchwinnerS 7m system 60 whip & 7m harrier whip
my nieghbour recently bought the replacement for matchwinnerS the
14.5m 221 i borrowed this a couple of times & it seemed ideal for me
it came with 1 match top 3 & 3 power top 2's all top sets were 3m long the power top's only needed 50mm cut back for a 14 lacky
these retail at 999 for a 14.5m but shop round & you should get 1 for a lot less yuo can get ext. to take it to 16m but i couldnt be botherd as my but sect for the 111 fits perfect into the but of the 221.
NOTE this is only my oppinion wait till some of the others post before you decide

tight lines.
martin.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
newbie.gif Brian,
Firstly welcome to Maggotdrowning mate,Enjoy.

Now about this new pole,To be honest mate with the budget you have you're spoilt for choice.Virtually every major manufacturer seems to have launched new poles this season and in the price range you're contemplating there are very few "bad" poles.
As Dave said get yourself around a few tackle dealers and have a feel of the different poles on offer,
One mans meat is anothers poison,but if it feels right it normally is.
And which ever pole you decide on,don't forget to post a revue of it on tackle talk

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Brian Johnson

RE.new.pole

thanks 1st to dave as you can tell im new to computers ,my daughter has just shown me how to do a smiley face ,or in my case a shy one but im sure ill get the hang of it ,about stu he sounds a right card. also thanks martin it sounds like youve got all the gear,my old pole witch served me quite well was a tricast sovereign 14m,
but recently stolen hence the search .
3rd pete your right im going to have to get out there and get the feel
of all these new poles can you or anybody suggest anywhere in the north west with a good selection you can pick up to get the feel
once again thanks to all + tight lines to everybody.

BJ

G

BJ can you get to the DRAYTON bash,20th May it's on a Monday all welcome mate,if you can come along and have some fun and meet up with some fellow members should be a cracking day

Andy

i'm going fishing

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
hiya Brian first of all welcome.
buying a new pole its a nightmare with so many to choose from, but you can narrow it down if first of all you write down what you want from a pole,
1.the type of fishing you do e.g do you want it just for canal & general coarse fishing. if so a light pole rated up to a 12 elastic.
2.do you want it for carp crunching.if this is your choice you'll have to forgo the lightness a bit and look one rated for 16 elastics +
3.do you want to be able to do both. if its this choice you want to look for a pole rated upto a 14 or 16 elastic.
4. the price bracket, you've already stated 1000-1500 you'll get a good quality pole in that bracket (generally the more expensive the better quality of carbon used in the poles make up).
5.you can get some good spare kits (make sure you're getting at least 3 spare top kits & maybe a cupping kit.
6.the length of pole again you said 16m. that removes a lot of poles that are on offer because a lot only go to 14.5m.
7.manufacture's, will you be able to get spares in 12 months time?
hope you can see what i mean, of the 100's of poles out there you can probably narrow it down to half a dozen without leaving the house.
check out the new Tri-cast poles just out this month they're very good i was in my tackle shop when the rep came to show the new poles, i had a look and a feel at them all (took delivery of mine last week) in your price range is the new Tri-cast Neutronic rrp.1455.00 at 14.5m, the promotion price is 1130.00 + free extension to 16.2m.+ 2xtop 3 kits + 1xtop 4 kit + cupping kit + pole holdall rated to 14 elastic, its well worth a look.
hope that helps Brian and good luck let us no how you go on.

teepee.

Brian Johnson

quote:
BJ can you get to the DRAYTON bash,20th May it's on a Monday all welcome mate,if you can come along and have some fun and meet up with some fellow members should be a cracking day

Andy

i'm going fishing

Thankyou for the invite but unfortunately I cannot make it, I work shifts and am working that day. Maybe next time?

BJ

Brian Johnson

quote:
hiya Brian first of all welcome.
buying a new pole its a nightmare with so many to choose from, but you can narrow it down if first of all you write down what you want from a pole,
1.the type of fishing you do e.g do you want it just for canal & general coarse fishing. if so a light pole rated up to a 12 elastic.
2.do you want it for carp crunching.if this is your choice you'll have to forgo the lightness a bit and look one rated for 16 elastics +
3.do you want to be able to do both. if its this choice you want to look for a pole rated upto a 14 or 16 elastic.
4. the price bracket, you've already stated 1000-1500 you'll get a good quality pole in that bracket (generally the more expensive the better quality of carbon used in the poles make up).
5.you can get some good spare kits (make sure you're getting at least 3 spare top kits & maybe a cupping kit.
6.the length of pole again you said 16m. that removes a lot of poles that are on offer because a lot only go to 14.5m.
7.manufacture's, will you be able to get spares in 12 months time?
hope you can see what i mean, of the 100's of poles out there you can probably narrow it down to half a dozen without leaving the house.
check out the new Tri-cast poles just out this month they're very good i was in my tackle shop when the rep came to show the new poles, i had a look and a feel at them all (took delivery of mine last week) in your price range is the new Tri-cast Neutronic rrp.1455.00 at 14.5m, the promotion price is 1130.00 + free extension to 16.2m.+ 2xtop 3 kits + 1xtop 4 kit + cupping kit + pole holdall rated to 14 elastic, its well worth a look.
hope that helps Brian and good luck let us no how you go on.

teepee.

teepee

Nice to hear from you mate, I know what you mean about choosinga pole it has been a nightmare. I have been to Stapeley Water Gardens today, they have got a great selection, I several poles but the Tricast Excellence was amazing, out of my price range but I have got to have it. A tackle dealer that I am friends with (from school) Ashton Angling is trying to do me a deal, fingers crossed.

BJ

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
hiya B/J i no what you mean about the Tri-cast Excellence when i saw it i was just like you, but i ordered one there and then.got it last week first time out had 45lbs of small tench and carp to 7lbs to say the least i was well impressed, good luck with the price from your mate, let us no how you go on.

teepee.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I will admit that what you spend on a pole would buy me three or four.

Only got a cheapie (140 including spare top 3s) but catches me fish which is what it was made for.

Oh for a couple of spare thousand.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

scouse

'River Man'
Hi BJ
IF you have that money to spend try the preston
cm90 its the dogs b******* if you shop around
you can get it for 1450
tightlines dave(scouse)

dave
scouse

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
hiya Geoff P, as long as you enjoy your fishing thats what its all about my friend, you will always get people spending differently on there hobbies but your quite right you'll get just as much pleasure from catching fish on a 100 pole as a 1000 pole, enjoy your fishing Geoff and all the best thumbsup.gif

teepee.

Brian Johnson

quote:
I will admit that what you spend on a pole would buy me three or four.

Only got a cheapie (140 including spare top 3s) but catches me fish which is what it was made for.

Oh for a couple of spare thousand.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Hi Geoff P
What is RSSG member? Please excuse my ignorance, but I have been a club member for 15 years plus and I have never come across this.

BJ

BJ

Brian Johnson

quote:
hiya Geoff P, as long as you enjoy your fishing thats what its all about my friend, you will always get people spending differently on there hobbies but your quite right you'll get just as much pleasure from catching fish on a 100 pole as a 1000 pole, enjoy your fishing Geoff and all the best thumbsup.gif

teepee.

Hi Teepee
Geoff is right, but as you say it is what you feel comfortable with and yes I did buy the Excellence (the price was 1850 he couldn't budge unfortunately. I cant wait to try it out, I am just waiting for the extension, how long does it take to arrive?
Im pleased it is working for you already.

BJ
/smilies/beer-toast1

BJ

Polepot

Poles
Brian

RSSG is the River systems Support Goup.

If you look on the bottom of the home page of MDs you will see some details.

hope you enjoy your new pole - outside my price range I'm afraid.

Poles

kev coke

i dont know if my coments are going to help but here goes
i have just got back from 3 weeks at white acres were i fished the 3 festivals down there and when i was there i got to see a lot of the new poles in action not just sitting in a shop holding it out in front of me but seeing them in action and from what i saw and tried a few as well i saw the 5th section of a garbolino superleague snap clean on a fish and the guy told me that that was the 3rd time the pole had broke since he had had it (and that was not very long) i saw 2 diawa 710`s shatter at the 5th section ,my mate broke his medusa twice but out of all the poles that i saw in use the two that impressed me were tri-cast neutronic very light and stiff very responsive on strike and very strong as well and the second one which impressed me so much that i have now ordered one was the new trabbuco sc carp 1 it had all the same qualities as the tricast but the power tops take a 20 lacy and when you hold it it feels strong and gives you the confidence to to put the larger 14+ elastics in it and not worry about wether the pole will handle it , i got mine for 999 at 16 meters ,teflon joints clean cap system,pole bag with nek-neek tubes ,4 top kits and a cupping kit but as said in a previous reply this is just my opinion mate so happy pole hunting

kev :0)

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice to see you on the site Kev. Three of us are off down to Whiteacres on May 11th. I've heard it's been fishing well. Can't wait to try Bolingey again.

I wonder if my cheapie will hold out. Still only 17 for a spare 4th section, and 21 for a new top 3. I bet my pole costs less than some of those guys sections.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

kev coke

thanks geoff but dont look forward to bolingy to much mate the place has changed a lot and has been restocked with a load of little 1 pound it is not like it was last year mate
kev

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
You say re-stocked Kev. I take it they haven't taken out the good head of 10 - 15 lb carp that were there, just added fresh small stock. Mind you I had great fun last September catching good roach and perch as well as the carp.

I am going to Gwinear as well. Haven't fished that for about 10 years. Which is best to try the original lake or the new match lake?

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.