Poles youve been happy with or disappointed

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all just wandered if you've bought poles or other tackle you've been happy with or disappointed with .I've been very lucky and virtually all the tackle I've purchased has been good.I will add really truthful answers please as this may help others in their pursuit of decent value for money tackle..I had a Garbolino uk1 and it was a really good pole I was disappointed a little in its weight at 16m and also the fact the top 5s were marked up wrong I.e match top 5 and power top 5 marked the same unfortunately I had already lackied the match top 5 so couldn't return

Last edited:

rufcuk

Site Supporter
My new sphere power partner can’t fish long pole so 11.5m with extension its just lovely - the rod I have been most disappointed with was a top of the range rive r design feeder - the action was that awful it would cast everywhere other than where you wanted it to go

robert d

Site Supporter
My new sphere power partner can’t fish long pole so 11.5m with extension its just lovely - the rod I have been most disappointed with was a top of the range rive r design feeder - the action was that awful it would cast everywhere other than where you wanted it to go
Thank you these are what I'm looking for honest reviews

Arch

Site Supporter
I do as much research as possible before I buy my kit. It took me two years to decide which float rods to buy. Couldn't afford Normarks, so settled on Dave Harrells. I haven't had that many poles and haven't been disappointed with any of them. From the Green garbolino SLV to my current 20 year old pole. I don't tend to change my gear that often.

Edit: I did buy 2 Maver Jurassic match rods that were designed for Carp. They were way to soft, but make good waggler rods for the far bank of rivers.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The only pole I was disappointed with was the Shakespeare Polyestelle one produced in the 1970-80s. As for carbon poles I have never bought one that disappointed.

And as the Master of Cheap I have rarely if ever been disappointed with any cheap tackle I have bought.

robert d

Site Supporter
The only pole I was disappointed with was the Shakespeare Polyestelle one produced in the 1970-80s. As for carbon poles I have never bought one that disappointed.

And as the Master of Cheap I have rarely if ever been disappointed with any cheap tackle I have bought.
Yes tackle doesn't have to be expensive to live up to expectations just be able to do the job intended

robert d

Site Supporter
Yes tackle doesn't have to be expensive to live up to expectations just be able to do the job intended
I think the pole I've been most pleased with was the tricast iconic years ago .I knew it wouldn't be brilliant in the wind or at 16m but it did the job strong and felt good upto 13m but I knew that before I purchased it and I only fish 16m if I'm struggling so it did what I expected and I regret selling it

robert d

Site Supporter
I think the pole I've been most pleased with was the tricast iconic years ago .I knew it wouldn't be brilliant in the wind or at 16m but it did the job strong and felt good upto 13m but I knew that before I purchased it and I only fish 16m if I'm struggling so it did what I expected and I regret selling it
The other thing I have been most pleased with were the Garbolino picker rods in my opinion fantastic value for money as are Tf gear rods

robert d

Site Supporter
The other thing I have been most pleased with were the Garbolino picker rods in my opinion fantastic value for money as are Tf gear rods
I really dont think there are very bad poles or rods out there these days some maybe well over priced some used for the wrong purposes and some handled wrongly I.e being to rough with thinner walled expensive poles but overall I think most poles and rods these days are very good of course the more you pay the better they should be not always the case but overall I think the fishing industry is fantastic with their products with a few exceptions . I wouldn't buy a Sphere pole for the fisheries I fish because of some of the animals living in them but have seen them in use and wow they're good in the right hands .. I've heard Daiwa poles come apart but 3 or 4 anglers in my club dont have that problem with airs .The point I'm making is if you use the tackle as intended and are careful with it and dont expect too much out of it unless your paying top money for it then I'm sure youl enjoy and be happy with your purchase. And yes I know a lot of 3 and 4s get broken on top end poles but we want the lightest poles we can get our hands on sometimes light and strength dont go hand in hand . So to finalise buy your tackle to suit the job at hand as it seems most anglers do on here .

Freesolo82

Maver Jurassic carp 13m pole around 2009 was awful, a banana at full length and my thumb went through the joint wall after a few uses. I seen someone selling one on Facebook this year for £300 thats what I paid in 2009?? The seller was calling it a "classic" and "one of the strongest poles ever made",, If you had a sword fight with it vs a old Browning (what I consider a strong pole) the browning would smash it to dust.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Best pole, map parabolix sti 16mtr, and I still have it,, although I havnt pole fished for over a year,, preston supera feeder rods, 11ft6, 12ft6, are awesome rods, preston distance master and drennan acolyte distance feeder rods are great, maver elite feeder rods are great, frenzee 11ft precision feederrods, spot on,, preston centris reels and shimano xtd5500 reels are great.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
30 year old Shimano Ultegra 1400 competition. I have two and I still use them on our local canals. I have newer ' better ' poles but, the Shimano is a pole I still keep going back to. Worst pole I've had was a Daiwa G50. I couldn't get on with that at all for some reason.

robert d

Site Supporter
Maver Jurassic carp 13m pole around 2009 was awful, a banana at full length and my thumb went through the joint wall after a few uses. I seen someone selling one on Facebook this year for £300 thats what I paid in 2009?? The seller was calling it a "classic" and "one of the strongest poles ever made",, If you had a sword fight with it vs a old Browning (what I consider a strong pole) the browning would smash it to dust.
Wow great honest review thank you

robert d

Site Supporter
30 year old Shimano Ultegra 1400 competition. I have two and I still use them on our local canals. I have newer ' better ' poles but, the Shimano is a pole I still keep going back to. Worst pole I've had was a Daiwa G50. I couldn't get on with that at all for some reason.
Thank you another honest review

robert d

Site Supporter
Best pole, map parabolix sti 16mtr, and I still have it,, although I havnt pole fished for over a year,, preston supera feeder rods, 11ft6, 12ft6, are awesome rods, preston distance master and drennan acolyte distance feeder rods are great, maver elite feeder rods are great, frenzee 11ft precision feederrods, spot on,, preston centris reels and shimano xtd5500 reels are great.
Wow good mixture of tackle from different companies good review thank you

Paul.P

Hard one this, cause poles are so much better than they used to be, my only experience with maver pole was the eurobionic, & the joints literally wore out in 6 months, also had one of original tourney pro's, the ones where the no4's snapped & it fell apart when shipping in, funny for everyone else, but mad panic when its your pole. Original Tricast XS was pretty bouncy but strong as an ox, oh yea, had a Tricast Triaxial, & believe me that could bend at 16m, had my biggest carp on that, a decoy beast at 17lb 10oz & had a hell of a job to break the pole down it was bent that much !, but like I said, things have moved on & most poles are pretty decent nowadays.

robert d

Site Supporter
Hard one this, cause poles are so much better than they used to be, my only experience with maver pole was the eurobionic, & the joints literally wore out in 6 months, also had one of original tourney pro's, the ones where the no4's snapped & it fell apart when shipping in, funny for everyone else, but mad panic when its your pole. Original Tricast XS was pretty bouncy but strong as an ox, oh yea, had a Tricast Triaxial, & believe me that could bend at 16m, had my biggest carp on that, a decoy beast at 17lb 10oz & had a hell of a job to break the pole down it was bent that much !, but like I said, things have moved on & most poles are pretty decent nowadays.
Lol @ tri cast bending that much in those days .I think they're outstanding poles now as with Browning Map Preston e.c.t thank you and Daiwa

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
If you had a sword fight with it vs a old Browning (what I consider a strong pole) the browning would smash it to dust.
Its like one of those conversations you hear down the pub--- "who do you think would win a fight between X POLE and Y POLE" :rolleyes:

robert d

Site Supporter
Its like one of those conversations you hear down the pub--- "who do you think would win a fight between X POLE and Y POLE" :rolleyes:
Lol yes I suppose it is ..its how I thought it would go lots of pleased owners of great tackle these days as I said earlier I think most if not all manufacturing of poles and tackle have improved so much over the last ten years or so .I think they've had to with the likes of this and many other forums debating the quality of individual items .. well done the internet and forums