Poles, worth replacing

GeeTee

I ge just returned to fishing after a few years break.

i like to fish waggles, feeder and pole.

My tackle is not the best, or the worst Drennan 7 reels, shakespeare, Maver mid range sort of rods.

my pole however was purchased just shy of 20 years ago. It is a Preston Zyrium 11 metre and I have a light top, a heavy top and a cupping kit. I’ve never really got on well pole fishing. I would like to get a lot better at it! I wonder whether with this pole it’s just harder work than needs be. I find it a little heavy and ponderous. Have poles cone on far in the last 20 years? Would I find a newer pole, perhaps a 13 or even 16 meter To be much of an improvement. What do you guys think? Also any recommendations on good poles and essential accessories would be helpful. Are there any good guides to pole fish8ng and handling?

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Baring in mind, it is not just the pole but rollers roosts and the other equipment that goes with it, I would try to find a friendly pole angler who might let you try his for an hour or so. Poles don't suit everyone and some anglers never get used to them ! I don't use one myself but when I see anglers setting up all the equipment they use for pole fishing I am glad i don't.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I think you would notice a large difference between your pole and a new one. Designers have pushed the limits of carbon searching for the balance between lightness, strength and stiffness. Early carbon poles were overengineered to some degree.

Many on here report that there are good bargains to be found going down the second hand route. I would caution though that it is best to see the pole before you buy or buy from someone you trust. Descriptions from unscrupulous sellers can be somewhat unreliable. Then there is the issue of breakages in transit.

I would also say that for starters there is no need to go for 16 metres straight away. Plenty of fish to be caught at ten metres and under. A mid range 13 m pole will fish well at ten. Probably the important thing to consider is the number of topkits, you always end up wanting more than you have. Also the availability of replacement sections. Some people seem to break sections regularly.

davej1981

Ive just come back to fishing and using my pole o got back in 1998. Dont have any trouble using it although i havent had to use it past about 8m so far! I could use it at 14m when i was 16/17 so im sure i could now im approaching 40! Ive considerd buying a newer one but the one thing that has put me off is the amount of poles that seem to break these days, it seems to be a regular thing, im sure someone here will be able to advise on thats! Ive got plenty of top kits so until i break a section or im regularly using it at full length and finding it a handful im happy to carry on using it

GeeTee

Had a look in shop. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to a side pull rather than the traditional system.