Poles...please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxlion1

Dear Sirs,

Could anyone out there please help?

I have a Shimano perfection 12.5 meter pole for carp fishing.

One top section has No12 elastic through it, while the other has No 16.
Both elastics are through the top two sections only. (I only have two top sections)

In your estimation would the set-up be OK as it stands, or will I need to extend through the top three.

If I need to go through the top three, it will present a problem as I only have one No3 section.

Any advice on this matter will be gratefully received.

I would like to thank you in advance for kind replies to this posting.

Waxlion1
hello.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dear Sirs? Hey now we're talking, respect or what

What
you didn't mean me, lol

Ah well, anyway personally I prefer to put my elastic through the top three if it looks like I'll encounter a Carp or two. It just gives that bit more if you get the odd screamer, you know the ones that go like a Northern Train ( the Southern ones are all stood still
)

For silver fish I would use the top two.

C'mon guys he called you 'Sirs',

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
help.gif Hi Waxy,
This problem is not insurmountable,First and formost,for carp you definatly need to rig up through the top 3 unless they are the extra long power top 2s.

Rig up through the top 3 (i'm assuming here that the top 2 sections are telescopic),but instead of knotting the elastic onto the bung fix it loop to loop (loop on the end of elastic through the loop at the top of the bung)this way,you can rig up as many elastics as you want,just remove the bung and store them on winders till you need them.Obviously,the tip of the first section has to be cut back far enough to allow the knot at the loop end to pass through the bush,or if you can get hold of a couple of spare no1 sections,you can try the next method.

This system works even better with telescopic top 3s ,as all you need is a supply of no1 sections rigged up with the bungs left in place with the whole lot stored on winders. To change the elastic all you need to do is drop the no1 section through the bottom 2 sections,wind the elastic onto a winder & then fix the winder to the no1 section with a rubber band.The reverse obviously to set another one up.

Hope this is of some help,
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hiya Wayne,
These guys are too damn good for me, but being idle, when I got my Shimano Technium, I had them rig it up for the two top 2s with 4 & 8 for silvers.
Then I bought 2xtop3s, 12 & 16, and these are rigged so that you fold them (the 3& the top2 section at the joint when not in use). Costs you a couple o tubes for storage as well,but it saves all that hassle of changing on the bankside.
See my post about Your Awards for the cheapest deal I found!
They even sent em ready elasticated, but if you do it my way, youre gonna need to re-elasticte your top twos lighter anyway.
PS had that cracked No 3 section at Makins re-sleeved to perfection for a fiver and the guys at the shop gottem apart in 2.075 milli-seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cya soon

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

waxlion1

Dear Dave, Peter and Trev

Thank you for your attention on this rather bewildering subject.

It would seem to me that the best way to go for me would to purchase a top three section, which would compliment the arrangement I have at present, while I can purchase some No1 sections at my leisure.

After obtaining extra No1 sections I could arrange finer elastic through them, allowing me to use the apparatus for smaller less aggressive species.

Once again gentlemen I appreciate your contribution to my dilemma and look forward to your company on the bank side before to long.

Regards:

Waxlion1
hello.gif

MALC

Waxy,
Peter has just about coverd the best ways to over come your dilema, namely with the additional top 1's. Personaly i use this system for all lacky belowe an 8 (got 3xtop 3's and 4 spare top 1's).

Another option is to use the Mulleto system on your tops which will double the amount of lacky.

Just one other suggestion though if you get universal tops as spares make sure you use them for the finer lacky as they will not be as strong as the generic tops that you already got.

Another point to bear in mind is the size of the carp and if the venues are snaggy, on some of the venues i fish i use a 16+ lacky just through the top 1 section so as to get the fish away from snags straight away.

Malc

Status
Not open for further replies.