Poles... having to fish shorter due to bad back

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
As it says in the thread title... anyone else had to do this...?
A couple of years back I bought a Drennan Target Carp 14.5m, now I know its not the lightest pole out there, but it's strong and was useable at 13m..... however... fast forward 2 years and after 3 back surgeries I can no longer fish the pole at 13m (and deffo not 14.5) so I have reluctantly taken off the last 3 joints and even that's a struggle.... the pole now only weighs 593 grams with a top 2 fitted and I feel that even that could be an issue.... (I have a 6m Browning Border Marauder Margin pole but that's waaaaay too short albeit quite pleasant to use... Would it be worth selling the Drennan and going for a dedicated short pole which may or may not be lighter but more manageable...?

tedstriker

Site Supporter
what length is it currently at that weight? some of the 8.5m margin poles are around 500g so not a massive difference but might help with your back?

Arry

Site Supporter
it's about 9.5mts give or take a few cm's 5 sections and the top 2 measure 10.120 separately... so approx 9.5 - 9.7mts assembled

Dusty

I think the issue of balance is probably more important than weight.

Why don’t you go to a shop with a pole alley and see what’s what? I have a Shimano technium and at 8-9m is very easy to use.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Fish to were you feel comfortable say topkit and one.
If the fish don't come that close use a wag or feeder.
If unsuccessful find a venue that suits your style of fishing.
I have had a fair few fish the last month chucking a feeder 5m (2+2 line)

fredradac

Site Supporter
I think the issue of balance is probably more important than weight.

Why don’t you go to a shop with a pole alley and see what’s what? I have a Shimano technium and at 8-9m is very easy to use.
Have to agree with you Dusty. I realised several years ago that having 16 metres of pole available is, for me, a waste of time and money not to mention carting around the extra weight of the last couple of sections, that I never used, in my holdall. Silly me!
I also agree that a pole alley is a good starting point when looking for a new pole but bear in mind that actually using a pole on the bank can be affected by lots of external factors eg wind.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Some may remember that when I first came on here it was to enquire because of my accident at work how to fish a pole. I went down the elasticated whip route until I worked out how l could fish the pole again. With the set up I now have I can fish my 14m Ambassador at full length directly in front of me. This is as far as I've got ,other than that I use a running line or two.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As those that know my fishing style will attest to, I rarely fish a pole beyond 10m. Beyond that and I get the leger rods out :)

That is not because I can't fish at 13 or 14m but I choose not to most of the time. And I find I don't need to.

In Summer on a commercial I rarely see the need to fish much further than topkit +2. My biggest match weight was caught on topkit and +1.

Even in Winter +3 is probably enough.

The thing is to fish within your capabilities and learn to make that work. I often think that by fishing at, say, 8m I have that line all to myself when surrounded by people fishing 13+.

david white

Site Supporter
As mentioned above it’s more about the balance than weight of pole I’ve mentioned in the past how I too suffer from lower back issues so rarely fish past 9 meters a bump bar or front rest can be a great help and taking a short stroll around every hour or so helps just to stretch the legs and back muscles ( nor sure how viable this maybe in a match ) but I only fish a few ‘ social ‘ club knock ups these days rest is pleasure sessions

Arry

Site Supporter
Well I stripped off the last 3 sections and ordered a couple of spare end caps off the Bay of EEEEE... I'll see how I get on with it at approx 9.5m I may have to progressively shorten the length that I fish as the back issues progress.... I fish more and more with antique gear these says and the issue of balance makes a lot of sense... I also fish with a cane pole of 16 feet and I can use that one handed so it's not a weight issue... I love fishing with a pole and I'm not ready to admit defeat just yet, so I'll see how I get on with the shortened version before I think about selling it on and buying something much shorter

Arry

Site Supporter
As mentioned above it’s more about the balance than weight of pole I’ve mentioned in the past how I too suffer from lower back issues so rarely fish past 9 meters a bump bar or front rest can be a great help and taking a short stroll around every hour or so helps just to stretch the legs and back muscles ( nor sure how viable this maybe in a match ) but I only fish a few ‘ social ‘ club knock ups these days rest is pleasure sessions
I stopped match fishing last year.... same old venues same old carp... but I love fishing the pole so I'll persevere.... I can't use a box I have to have a substantial back rest so I have a Korum Accessory chair and I can get on with that

Flathead

Site Supporter
Another alternative is to lengthen the line between the pole tip and the float...you will lose some control but it is still very effective, especially if you use a waggler.

Gwillim

Have just made the decision on returning to fishing after a couple of years out with cancer and spondilytis of the spine that it is time to go over to using a feeder chair, my main venue will be Cefn Mably and the tactics there will be lead/feeder to far bank, possibly shallow wag and pole down the margin, switching to the chair means you can adjust it to support your back and it also keeps the wind off etc etc

So looks like it is the way to go :)

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Yes, "it's not the length- its what you do with it" ;)chalk me up to converting to a smaller pole. <9m it the longest I will fish a pole . Got a MAP TKS Power Margin very slim, still and river, silvers and lumps each top kit tailored for a job. This and a 6m Middy Muscle tech and 6,4,3m Whips do it all now. Anything over 8.5m its a running line.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It’s affected my fishing the last few months, 13m is enough, I can do 14.5m if I have to, but I think the days of regularly fishing 16,17,18 or 19m are going to be few and far between.
I find if I am getting bites and shipping in and out often, it’s OK, but sitting holding it is what gives me gyp. I have fished a couple of matches dosed up with Tramadol, but that’s not ideal, trouble is, haven’t got many venues round here that respond to fishing short in the winter, I just wouldn’t compete at the distances NOTN is quoting.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
@Maesknoll you mention Tramadol, do you drive ? Tramadol is on the banned drugs list for driving and will fail a roadside drug test.
The strongest you can use is codyramol and still drive, as I found to my cost.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
steve
I don't think that is the case

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The point is it's the police who pulled you over that decides if your driving is up to scratch because they pulled you over, and all l did was cut the corner when turning right.