poles (first purchase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
im after a pole for me birthday for 250 or less around 13m. i dont know much abt them HELP. all my mates have them and there really good for accuracy and presentation. someone advise me on what to look for and some things i should need the pole to be

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

Polepot

Poles
Jon,

The best place to start with a pole is to read Bobb Nudd's book. This gives you an insight to the art.

You then need to decide what you are intending to use the pole for - silver fish, carp, or both.

Once you have decided go to a good fishing shop a try some poles in your price range. Do not try to many you will get confused. When I bought my first pole I compared 3.

Do be aware the pole is only part of the cost. You will need rigs and other accessories - don't skimp you will risk damaging your pole, or your back.

The only other point is when you start using your pole don't try to fish it at full length untill you have got used to it. The techniques don't take long to learn but it is best to start at 7-9 meters.

I'm sure you will enjoy your pole - but take some time before you buy.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

ray

jon, there are plenty of pole deals around at the moment, some of them include lots of extras including a roller and rigs, as nick said you will have to take in to account the bits and bobs that you will also need, to buy them seperatly can work out quite expensive.

if you send me an e-mail next time you are going fishing i will arrange to meet you and bring a couple of poles for you to try, it will give you an idea of what you want to look for when you go for yours.

when you do get your pole, give me a shout if you need help to start with and i will sit with you for a while and give you a few pointers.

the big lake at fir tree is a good place to start on the pole as there are plenty of small fish to keep you busy.

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

brady

jon just my advice before you buy your pole find out the price of original top sections and also universal top kits
i own a maver grim reaper for the money it is a fantastic pole (1 spare top 3 kit)but for the origional top 3's its forty quid a pop and can i hell find any cheap universals to fit
and as the pole only cost 210 forty quid seems abit steep for a top 3.
but like i said im other wise over the moon with the pole .
p.s if anybody out there knows of any universal kits that will fit please e-mail me

MALC

Brady,

You wont find any UNI tops for the GrimReaper but for the 40 you do get one of if the most powerfull tops on the market.

And compaired to most pole's 40 is cheap for Generic top kits ( it's 62 for a top 2 for mine) and they are only half the strength of the Grims.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

brady

yes malc but i was speaking comparativly to the price of the pole and i aint got forty quid lol cheers for the reply.
what pole is yours anyway?

yeah id like to try some poles out if u would, we'll have to arrange something, heskin hall or firswood or any place u want really . I went Firswood Road and bagged up. I had around 20 fish. A 6lb tench, a 3lb and 2lb carp and loads of carp coming up to a 1lb. I was buzzing with the tench. I lost a very big fish too, where the hook pulled free. 18 on catmeat including the tench and a 2lb carp, 2 on floating bread this including the 3lb er. i caught these with 3lb main line loop to loop to 1.7lb hooktie. Very lucky indeed.

Jon

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

ray

jon, tried sending you an e-mail, no luck (returned) send me a mail when you are next going fishing and i'll see if i can turn up.

p.s. i might be going to orrell res tommorow for a few hours if you fancy it.

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.