Polefloat advice

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I am hoping to get into pole fishing a bit more seriously, now I have finally acquired a decent pole, but need advice on float choice. Main venue will be on a 7 acre lake, mixed fishery. It is in a valley and wind can be a bit swirly. Depths from 4' to 10' Main quarry will be silvers, roach and skimmers, along with bream and tench up to 4lb or 5lb. Very occasional carp up to low doubles. Main baits maggots, worm or corn. Now, about the floats. I understand the concept of 0.5g or 1.0g, but what is 4x12 or 4x14 about? What would be a good general purpose float for the majority of my fishing, I don't fish matches. What is a good body shape, pencil looks good to me.
Any other advice would be appreciated. (y)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
If the water is badly affected by the wind, a pencil shaped float may not be best. Probably better with a bit more of a rounded body.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
If the venue is badly affected by wind, perhaps backshot above the float may help, failing that perhaps laying line on the bottom may help compensate for the wind.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
You really should read my Beginners Guide To Pole Fishing. Its all explained in there.

And my simple approach to pole fishing.

And Backshotting