Pole wrap / repairs. Just how good are they?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
As the winter draws in, The fishing starts to become harder. After about 3 hours sleep I managed to drag myself out of bed at 8 this morning with a mind to hit my local pond aiming to have a nice, cold day catching some silvers on the pole. About 2 hours in, I'd managed to have 1 roach and maybe 2 bites. Decided to sit on my feeder for a bit and let me swim rest for an hour while feeding minimal amounts on my pole line hoping I'd get some fish arrive meanwhile. An hour passes on the feeder, and one straightened hook later Id decided to give the pole another go and what do you know? The Silvers had finally arrived as expected. Within the next hour I had a flurry of Roach, 15 to be exact with many more bites coming in. Massive smiles.

That's until I struck and my pole snapped cleanly in half on the fourth section swiftly ending my day about 2 hours short. Absolutely no idea why this has happened, Just heard a crunch and half my pole fell in the drink. Quickly grabbed my feeder and cast it over the line then whipped the line around the pole itself and pulled it in.

Head home and funnily enough, I followed some fella on Facebook who does Pole Repairs a few days back. He said he'd sort it out for me for about £20 and he'd pick the section up himself as he's in the area. He said his 'Finishes' aren't the best as he's still learning hence the price but but as long as the section works and doesn't look a complete mess, I don't massively mind. Took a look at a picture of his work and it seems perfectly acceptable.

My question is, just how efficient are these repairs / wraps? Do they weaken the section any? Should I also be worried about excess damage along the rest of the section? I usually clean this pole upon finishing up and never noticed any damage with the eye. I've also inspected the rest of the section and don't see anymore issues. Just one clean snap.

Cheers

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
If done properly by someone who knows what they're doing it should be fine, in fact it may even be stronger than it was originally and should still pack away as normal.

Have to say thought that £20 sounds a bit cheap for a repair on a snapped no4 section though. ;)

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If done properly by someone who knows what they're doing it should be fine, in fact it may even be stronger than it was originally and should still pack away as normal.

Have to say thought that £20 sounds a bit cheap for a repair on a snapped no4 section though. ;)

Yeah I was thinking exactly that Peter, I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt his prices are low based on his finishes not looking perfect, But I am still very sceptical. I've got a buddy ringing my tackle shop for me on the morrow for a quote from a well-known repair expert. Going to see how much that's going to cost from him, I wouldn't mind throwing a few extra bob for peace in mind.

Edit; Just out of curiosity, what should I be expecting to pay for the repair?
Cheers!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not sure where you're based but I can wholeheartedly recommend Esselle Pole Repairs. Not the cheapest but the quality of their work is second to none. :upthumb:

As to cost, I'm not to sure of the going rate now as fortunately for me it's a long time since I last needed a repair done.;)

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Not sure where you're based but I can wholeheartedly recommend Esselle Pole Repairs. Not the cheapest but the quality of their work is second to none. :upthumb:

As to cost, I'm not to sure of the going rate now as fortunately for me it's a long time since I last needed a repair done.;)

Thanks mate. My concern is postage and return postage, hence why I liked the idea of getting it done more local.
It's not a massively expensive pole, So if I'm spending X amount on the section then excess on the P&P it probably won't be worth..
Cheers Peter!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The last No4 I had repaired cost me £35..and that was 'mates rates' when i worked at Dick Cleggs, mind you, it was rock solid when done. Can't you find a 2nd hand spare No4 section from a tackle shop?

Last edited:

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
The last No4 I had repaired cost me £35..and that was 'mates rates' when i worked at Dick Cleggs, mind you, it was rock solid when done. Can't you find a 2nd hand spare No4 section from a tackle shop?

It's an old pole, I'm going to ask my cousin if he has one laying around that might fit it. To be fair though, I'd like to get it fixed if possible to keep it all original as it's a pretty nice piece of kit when it's all made up.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
130248359_162189812320194_2167849155364512680_o.jpg

Heres a picture of the fella's work who said he'd do it for £20. I'm not sure if 'looks' are a good representation of actual repair quality though...
Thoughts?

JLK

As long as it's straight. It will be fine for 20 quid. What pole do you have?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just my opinion but if the guy can't achieve a good finish what's the expectancy of a reliable and strong job?

There's an old saying - buy cheap, buy twice

And you've already had one day's fishing cut short with a break so what's to say the cheap repair won't cut short your next day out, plus it will always be in the back of your mind that it could break again.
Another aspect of a good repair is you should still be able to pack it away into the no5 section, if the repair is too bulky it won't fit so you'll have to carry it separate to the rest of the pole.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
@Dave did me one for free," yes ok i'll wait for ya stop coughing or get up " about 3 years back and its still strong.

Warden

Site Supporter
The cost of the repair in my eyes is always in the relation to the cost of the pole,have about 15 poles and around 60 top kits in our juniors kit and needless to say have repaired many of them LOL.,not one of the repaired breaks has ever let us down even done a fair few landing net handles.so the neatness of the repair is not always a sign of how strong the repair is the repair will nearly always be stronger than the original section.or so every pole repairer says lol,
I have done a few repairs for mates (no charge) and never had a complaint, but as the original poster's quoter says they do not look the same as a professional repair which I would have done by a professional on my expensive poles.(hold their value better)