Pole upgrade advice

MylesD

Hi all, just getting more into the swing of pole fishing and in seeking advice what type of sort of pole to go for.
I currently have a Drennan red range 8.5m margin pole but I’m looking for something a bit longer/lighter/better, a general upgrade.
I fish commercial fisheries and need something that can cover large ish carp as well as silvers in the winter.
Without spending mega money I think £200 used would be my limit.
Any advice of what I should be on the look out for?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Hi all, just getting more into the swing of pole fishing and in seeking advice what type of sort of pole to go for.
I currently have a Drennan red range 8.5m margin pole but I’m looking for something a bit longer/lighter/better, a general upgrade.
I fish commercial fisheries and need something that can cover large ish carp as well as silvers in the winter.
Not being funny but I doubt you’ll get anything better/longer etc than what you’ve got for £200, not even 2nd hand 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The CFS was a great pole, if you are looking for a 13 metre pole look for a second hand MAP 101 or 201, great at 11 metres not so hot at 13 though.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The CFS was a great pole, if you are looking for a 13 metre pole look for a second hand MAP 101 or 201, great at 11 metres not so hot at 13 though.
I have the original ( 1450 ) and have had the newer version but, my dad broke his ‘ newer ‘ version so I gave my pole to him. I only use it has a margin pole nowadays. Don’t think I’ve the strength to fish it a full whack now. 🤣🤣. Good pole though. Strong.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I buy and sell a lot of tackle mate, poles included and for £200 your not going to get much, unless you chance on a real bargain on ebay or the facebook selling sites, it can be done, but you will need to be on the look all the time

anything good at that money is either full of repairs or worn right out

The Landlord

Site Supporter
There's lots of selling pages on facebook.....Marketplace, Match Fishing Sales plus others. Worth having a browse through them & you may come across the odd bargain.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I get the feeling it may be worth saving and going for something around to 500 mark?
Probably get something reasonable for £4-500 mate, you will have to be extremely lucky to get a decent pole for £200 , 2nd hand poles in good condition hold their value, no point buying rubbish mate 🤷‍♂️

MylesD

Probably get something reasonable for £4-500 mate, you will have to be extremely lucky to get a decent pole for £200 , 2nd hand poles in good condition hold their value, no point buying rubbish mate 🤷‍♂️
Solid advice, cheers

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
🤷‍♂️ Need strong arms. 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 2A4FD423-8F1E-4FB4-AB77-AC5761921F26.png
    2A4FD423-8F1E-4FB4-AB77-AC5761921F26.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 18
  • B3A276C8-F856-47AA-9301-1BF24B9609AB.png
    B3A276C8-F856-47AA-9301-1BF24B9609AB.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 18

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I bought the 14.5 CFS when it first came out and had it until I moved to Yorkshire and bought the MAP 201 in 2015. Sold my CFS then, Sold my MAP 201 late last year for well under £200 as I am no longer fishing. Just got my Koala match station seat box and floats to go and my MAP holdall and the odd rod and the shed will be clear.

I had managed to land large carp on the CFS, it was good at 13 metres, brilliant at 11 but poor at 14.5.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I bought the 14.5 CFS when it first came out and had it until I moved to Yorkshire and bought the MAP 201 in 2015. Sold my CFS then, Sold my MAP 201 late last year for well under £200 as I am no longer fishing. Just got my Koala match station seat box and floats to go and my MAP holdall and the odd rod and the shed will be clear.

I had managed to land large carp on the CFS, it was good at 13 metres, brilliant at 11 but poor at 14.5.
The newer version wasn’t much better Geoff but, at £250 to £300 what could we expect ? Ok for margins though.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I was looking on the bay earlier, as you do. If you type in Sensas , there is a pole listed there for £200 . Brand new from a tackle shop. It say it’s an older style pole, but all the newer topkits fit it. Might be worth a look. Cant remember the model , but it was 16m .

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
  • s-l64.jpg
Brand new sensas criterium 16m Pole.

This is a series 5 pole so the top 6 is compatible with all Sensas poles.

The pole comes @ 16m

One mini extension

Cupping kit and cups

Spare top 4 kit

Hold-all

Any questions welcome