Pole tackle advise

Nasha

I have an old Daiwa pole that I’ve not used since I bought it, never really got into it. Must have been 20-odd years since it last saw daylight, I have always been a rod and reel dangler be it float or feeder etc. I put the pole together and waved it round my garden the other day and it basically looks and feels like new (albeit probably heavier than today’s ones).

I fancy giving it a freshen up and a few ‘spins round the block’ as it were.

Its still got elastic in it (and it still stretches!!) but something tells me that should be the first thing I replace!

So my questions to any pole experts are, what should I go out and buy, I have nothing but the pole (and all my rod/reel terminal tackle).

What do you find indispensable when pole fishing?

Ill be using it at various commercials more than anything, small to medium sized carp being the target.

Thanks!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Nasha and welcome on board

Have you got a local tackle shop?
If so take a couple of the top kits to them and ask if they'd show you how to elasticate them, obviously buy the elastic and connectors from there ;)

Once you've seen it done, it's easy to follow for the future.
Look as something like 10-12 solid and 8-10 solid elastic to start with at this time of year for the size you're intending catching.
There's no point spending a lot on hydro and fancy hollow elastics at the moment as the fish calm down a lot when the water is cold and until you decide if it's for you

Nasha

Hi Dave, cheers!

It only came with one top section , I didn't even realise people had multiple top kits till I started reading here. Did they do that 'back in the day' as well?

With the elastic isn't it just a case of tying one end to the bung and the other end to the connector bit at the tip? Sounds simple but I assume from your reply there's a knack to getting it right.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
personally, I’d recommend two things only ... a pole sock or tulip is really handy to hold the end of the pole after taking off the top section to Rebait or land a fish.
the other is two or three simple pole floats with a nice visible bristle.

everything else can wait, just build up your handling and confidence using it at 6-8m first.

neil of the Nene (a member on here) has written a nice simple blog about introduction to pole fishing.
it’s worth a read

Which model is it by the way?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You've basically got it ;)

Tie it to the connector first, couple of overhand knots and wet it before pulling the knot tight.
The feed the elastic down the top section until it's dangling out of the end. The next thing is what type of bung have you got?
If it's a winder type its easy just tie a loop in the elastic roughly where it's coming out of the end, fasten that to your bung and win it on until you get tension at the top end.

If it'd a straightforward bung you'll have to fiddle around a bit to get the length right to get the tension right

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
A cheap seat box. They're a must for comfortably pole fishing IMO. You can pick up those plastic Shakespeare ones used for about 20 clams if you look about.

Some pre-made pole rigs, unless you're capable of making your own of course.
No8, No9 Stotz. If cash isn't an issue grab some fine tuners. 11-13's.
Pulla Kit
10-12 Hollow elastic. Best all round IMO.
Or again, if cash is an issue get some 14 solid elastic. Reason why I'm suggesting high elastic this time of year is because you've only got one kit. I don't like fishing light elastics in the margins lol.
Plummet. Another must.

pies

Site Supporter
Id be careful putting heavy elastic in 20year old poles. Depending on which one it was it could snap. Not many carp pole around back then

Nasha

personally, I’d recommend two things only ... a pole sock or tulip is really handy to hold the end of the pole after taking off the top section to Rebait or land a fish.
the other is two or three simple pole floats with a nice visible bristle.

everything else can wait, just build up your handling and confidence using it at 6-8m first.

neil of the Nene (a member on here) has written a nice simple blog about introduction to pole fishing.
it’s worth a read

Which model is it by the way?
This is it, pretty sure I bought it for the effect of the carbon look over everything else 5C1932E9-0A2A-464D-B2BD-6A6083920E28.jpeg

Nasha

You've basically got it ;)

Tie it to the connector first, couple of overhand knots and wet it before pulling the knot tight.
The feed the elastic down the top section until it's dangling out of the end. The next thing is what type of bung have you got?
If it's a winder type its easy just tie a loop in the elastic roughly where it's coming out of the end, fasten that to your bung and win it on until you get tension at the top end.

If it'd a straightforward bung you'll have to fiddle around a bit to get the length right to get the tension right
This is the bung in it Dave
7CCD8D9F-ED4E-4C97-B79F-00A7C80449B9.jpeg

Nasha

A cheap seat box. They're a must for comfortably pole fishing IMO. You can pick up those plastic Shakespeare ones used for about 20 clams if you look about.

Some pre-made pole rigs, unless you're capable of making your own of course.
No8, No9 Stotz. If cash isn't an issue grab some fine tuners. 11-13's.
Pulla Kit
10-12 Hollow elastic. Best all round IMO.
Or again, if cash is an issue get some 14 solid elastic. Reason why I'm suggesting high elastic this time of year is because you've only got one kit. I don't like fishing light elastics in the margins lol.
Plummet. Another must.
Thanks that’s helpful.
I’ve got a box and plummet, I’m a regular rod n reel type, so I’m already half way there.
The ready made rigs sound like just the job any brand recommendations for quality or reliability?

Thanks for everyone’s help by the way

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's a straight forward bung not a winder bung so ties your connector first, drop the elastic down the made up top kit, tie it to the bung but don't tie the knot tight, adjust the length and knot until you get tension on the elastic.
Don't cut the elastic too short at the bung end, leave an inch or so and it'll make it a bit easier to undo it to adjust it

Nasha

Id be careful putting heavy elastic in 20year old poles. Depending on which one it was it could snap. Not many carp pole around back then

Haha from what I remember the only choice was length

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Thanks that’s helpful.
I’ve got a box and plummet, I’m a regular rod n reel type, so I’m already half way there.
The ready made rigs sound like just the job any brand recommendations for quality or reliability?

Thanks for everyone’s help by the way

Depends what you're fishing for.
Drennan do a nice all-round range though.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Index for my Beginner's Guide to Pole Fishing here

Very little extra kit is truly essential. I have never used a pole sock and only rarely a tulip rest. Pole roller(s) make life more simple and handling the pole smoother.

Ready made rigs will get you going but think what happens when the rig has been shortened and you then need a new, longer one. So at some point you need to make your own rigs up. All covered in the blog.

Nasha

Cheers Neil that’s a serious piece of writing. Think I’ll have to wait for the missis to be asleep before I’ve got any chance of getting through that.

I’m not against making up my own rigs, it wouldn’t be a problem but for now I’m just going to be trying it out, waggler and feeder fishing will remain my bread and butter unless this new foray converts me.
Cue me browsing new poles this time Saturday evening...

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I purposefully split the guide up into hopefully readable sections.

I enjoy writing. Hence the near 22,000 posts here.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Very little extra kit is truly essential. I have never used a pole sock and only rarely a tulip rest. Pole roller(s) make life more simple and handling the pole smoother.
agree with that Neil .... I’ve won plenty of money on the pole fishing a rig with a wire stemmed stick float !

i probably find a sock very useful because the venues I fish have high banks or hedges, so I’m constantly shipping up and behind. On the other hand I rarely use my rollers ... just use the rod holdall!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
This is it, pretty sure I bought it for the effect of the carbon look over everything else 5C1932E9-0A2A-464D-B2BD-6A6083920E28.jpeg
Ok ... very unlikely to get spare sections for that model now ... although you may Be able to get generic top 3 that could fit if you need spare tops.

at this time of year, depending on your venues, With only one top kit I might be inclined to recommend a 6 elastic and fish for silvers (roach and skimmers) to get used to the technique! It’s another option.