pole sticking when shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemphead2

hemphead2
I recently bought a second pole (map carptek commercial fishery 14.5) for bigger fish as my maver is not strong enough.

When i fish with it in the rain i have that horrible problem of the pole sticking in my hands when shipping back and i am sure this has been the cause of a few bumped off fish.

The finish on the pole is similar to my Maver but i have never experienced this so badly with that pole.

I find i have to ship back more hand over hand rather than sliding it through and its beginning to annoy me.

I thought about wearing glovea but this is a bit daft in the summer.
Has anyone else got over this problem and is it just restricted to cheaper poles?

richox12

I don't know the pole but if it's strong enough and thick enough in the wall then take some fine wet & dry to the lower sections (no need to do the smaller sections due to point of balance). High gloss finishes are terrible for sticking when wet as are those with a pronounced 'ridge' on the surface. Yours may not have either surface finish but the wet & dry will make a big difference.

Then keep it clean.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
I've only got a Shimano Technium which cost around 250 and i've never experienced this problem. Not sure what you can do with that to be honest mate.

Serious Sam

Seriously Serious
Mines like this, fine when it's dry, fine when it's really wet but when a bit wet it sticks like a bast - best thing I've found is to keep the pole very clean and polish with a silicon based polish.

I use the original Mr Sheen as this has silicon in it, after each sesion get the pole out give it a good clen to get any muck off then polish with Mr Sheen and you'll find it's a lot more slippery through the hands, as long as the pole stays clean this keeps working when the pole is damp.

Gloves aren't a bad idea either, don't use them myself but I know people who use fingerless wool gloves in the rain and whilst it looks weird it does solve the problem.

hemphead2

hemphead2
cheers sam,i was thinking along those lines,i have some silicon spray in the garage i will give it a go.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I found the same with the MAP M16. Using polish seems to help.

craig1980

I use Autoglym car polish on all sections. its gives the pole a good clean and also keeps it running free in my hands when shipping in and out in the rain.

pole addict

Originally posted by richox12

I don't know the pole but if it's strong enough and thick enough in the wall then take some fine wet & dry to the lower sections (no need to do the smaller sections due to point of balance). High gloss finishes are terrible for sticking when wet as are those with a pronounced 'ridge' on the surface. Yours may not have either surface finish but the wet & dry will make a big difference.

Then keep it clean.

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I always polish my pole with mr sheen !!

LOL

richox12

Hemphead, pole addict....stop worrying. You aren't going to go mad and rub it down so it's thin and weak just take the shine off it. It works. I've done it with 2 poles and it made a HUGE difference. After all, sections are sanded in the factory anyway. It's nothing unusual. Then keep it clean and, yes, polish it. It might seem over the top but it really does help. Depending upon the finish of pole in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.