Pole side puller advice

Paul16469

Hi All,
Just purchased a Daiwa C4 Matchwinner.
Looking for some advice on side puller installation.
I'm looking to fit the pole top kits with various elastics (Daiwa Hydrolastic). Presume I'm going to have to fit some kind of side puller kit to the reinforced area of the top kits. I'm quite practical (got drill and bits etc.) so don't mind trying to fit myself.Can anyone recommend which puller kits to buy ?
Thanks in advance
Paul

lp1886

Site Supporter
Hi All,
Just purchased a Daiwa C4 Matchwinner.
Looking for some advice on side puller installation.
I'm looking to fit the pole top kits with various elastics (Daiwa Hydrolastic). Presume I'm going to have to fit some kind of side puller kit to the reinforced area of the top kits. I'm quite practical (got drill and bits etc.) so don't mind trying to fit myself.Can anyone recommend which puller kits to buy ?
Thanks in advance
Paul
The Preston kits are very popular. If you’re going to drill them yourself, one tip is to place some wooden dowel up the section to protect you from drilling through the other side 👍🏻

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I used the Middy ones. Only a 5mm hole needed drilling & the bush easily pushed in. I also bought the carbon wrap kit from Carbon Mods but you say your kits are already reinforced, yeah?

rudd

Site Supporter
The Preston kits are very popular. If you’re going to drill them yourself, one tip is to place some wooden dowel up the section to protect you from drilling through the other side 👍🏻
Or a wine bottle cork.
Do not attempt drilling after consumption 😉

mbuna_matt

Having fitted a few at the beginning of the year I found that MAP pullers were the easiest to fit. I tried the preston version but the neatness of the fit depends on the thickness of the carbon wall. My MAP pole is either cheaper / thicker carbon, or made more strongly as the wall was to thick to fit between the two flanges of the puller kit. The MAP one seems to fit irrespective of carbon thickness / grade

Paul16469

Thanks all ,
Looks like a toss up between Map & Preston. I'll see what the local tackle outlet has in stock. Buying online seems to be hit and miss at the moment with stock issues.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I thought that the Preston ones weaken your pole as the hole needed was 10mm. I have Browning poles and use their side puller which is a thin rectangular insert.

mbuna_matt

From memory the MAP ones are 7mm, drill a small hole and work up, you will need a grinder to tidy up slightly enlarge, its a case of slowly working the hole until the kit fits in and then a dab of glue. The tip with the dowel is one I wish I'd thought of! Get hold of an old fashioned bottle cleaner of wrap a j-cloth round a bung extractor rod to clean the dust / shard out from inside the pole section as I'm sure they aren't good for the elastic!

Paul16469

From memory the MAP ones are 7mm, drill a small hole and work up, you will need a grinder to tidy up slightly enlarge, its a case of slowly working the hole until the kit fits in and then a dab of glue. The tip with the dowel is one I wish I'd thought of! Get hold of an old fashioned bottle cleaner of wrap a j-cloth round a bung extractor rod to clean the dust / shard out from inside the pole section as I'm sure they aren't good for the elastic!
👍 Thanks

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Preston ones for me, the carbon in the Daiwa kits is better opened up with a grinder bit in Dremel. The grindstone bit that Preston sell to do the job does exactly that, it’s worth buying, as it will do as many top kits as you’ll ever use.

I have had no issues with the Preston pullers and there are plenty of others with Daiwa poles on the match circuit I fish, again, I don’t hear of issues with them, they are by far and away the most popular.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't forget as well you're only working with thin carbon fibre - drill a small pilot hole first then go up to the recommended size with a sharp, preferably new, drill bit on the slow setting. Always put something inside the section to stop the drill going all the way through and into the other side.
To clean up the hole or to slightly enlarge it, roll a piece of sandpaper, ideally 'wet & dry', into a stick and work it in and out of the hole twisting it at the same time.

mbuna_matt

On the Preston puller the bit to look out for is the "projection" circled below. if the wall is thicker than the width of this slot it doesn't fit 100% flush.

Attachments

• mark up roller.jpg
    mark up roller.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 6