Pole Shallow- finding the fish

Stewie74

Site Supporter
In theory, if you’re not catching on the deck (let’s say the depth is 6feet) how do you approach shallowing up?

Go half depth then adjust from there? Shallow up by (for example) a foot, and keep adjusting until you find the right depth?
Or shallow right up and work your way down?

thanks in advance 👍

Stewie

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
For carp I just start at 18 inches , and usually you’ll just catch them ....For F1,s if I don’t see them swirling I usually start at 3ft, if I get liners, I go 30 inches, then 24 inches and so on....If I see them swirling, I go on a 12inch rig, then 6inches ......If I’m getting a lot of dinks and not really connecting, I’ll try the jigga 👍every one laughs at the amount of top kits I have set up, but for F1,s it’s vital to keep that short lash and not just move the float up and down, like you can with carp 👍

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
For carp I just start at 18 inches , and usually you’ll just catch them ....For F1,s if I don’t see them swirling I usually start at 3ft, if I get liners, I go 30 inches, then 24 inches and so on....If I see them swirling, I go on a 12inch rig, then 6inches ......If I’m getting a lot of dinks and not really connecting, I’ll try the jigga 👍every one laughs at the amount of top kits I have set up, but for F1,s it’s vital to keep that short lash and not just move the float up and down, like you can with carp 👍
Another great lesson in f1 fishing ,thank you Gazza . For carp it may be necessary to have a really long lash as not to spook them and i try at 3ft , 2ft ,1ft and 6in ,if im foul hooking i keep going a little shallower until that stops and i try laying about 1.5 to 2m in front of any fish i see to try and not spook them . If im across into the mudline il dab the bait on the water to make it sound like more bait then lower it in slowly, sometimes a cad pot of just water tipped in at the far bank gets interest 😁

Simon Walsh

With a jigger what length do you have it jigging,? By that I mean distance you have between bottom stop and top stop

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Thanks all, the venue I'm fishing tomorrow is mainly carp up to about 6lb but mainly 1-3lb. Its 5-6ft deep everywhere except margins.

My plan is to start on the deck, but with higher temps incoming I think shallow will come in to play pretty quick.

I've got 3 shallow rigs set up at 3ft (half depth), 2ft and 1ft, each of which has a 3ft lash, so I have a bit of room for manoevre to adjust between those depths.

There's a few swims with an island chuck, so I'll have a method feeder set up as well, and a margin swim either side.

I think I'm gonna need some more topkits........

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Thanks all, the venue I'm fishing tomorrow is mainly carp up to about 6lb but mainly 1-3lb. Its 5-6ft deep everywhere except margins.

My plan is to start on the deck, but with higher temps incoming I think shallow will come in to play pretty quick.

I've got 3 shallow rigs set up at 3ft (half depth), 2ft and 1ft, each of which has a 3ft lash, so I have a bit of room for manoevre to adjust between those depths.

There's a few swims with an island chuck, so I'll have a method feeder set up as well, and a margin swim either side.

I think I'm gonna need some more topkits........
Good luck Stewie