Pole setup for Big Carp at Monk Lakes

Danmancity

Had planned and setup kit to go to a local carp snake lake where the average stamp is probably 3-8lb so 0.15 (5lb) hooklengths and 18/16 LWG hooks are the most you’re ever going to need really

Ended up having a last minute change to Monk lakes where the carp are substantially bigger and you Are realistically coming to catch doubles all day, my biggest on their pole went 15lb at the weekend, this isn’t the sort of fishing i do regularly having only been once before but have to say i enjoyed it

All of my open water rigs are on 0.17 N-Gauge and Margin rigs on 0.19 Reflo so no problems there, luckily i had 3 top kits with 13 Dura Slip which did a great job if not slightly light

13m line was solid with fish all day until a ripple got up and i left it just because of visibility, the fish here were a slightly smaller stamp but fought hard so did have 2 breakages on 16 LWG and 0.15 N-Gauge banded pellet and pinging over the top

5m was where the bigger stamp were caught, started on 8mm meat and made the change to pellets when things dried up, no breakages here, started on 16 XS Spade to 0.15 and changed to a 16 KKM when i went to 6mm pellets, i was just testing the KKM for the first time and still can’t make my mind up on the out turned eye, this was the best line for the big fish all day

Margins were really shallow so i had to use my 3 inch hooklengths which again only go up to 0.15 for Me, LWG 14 with big single grains of corn over micros, was never solid but did catch a few to my left by the next pallet, they took off like a rocket and tried to take me round the spit a couple of times so i did lose 1 unfortunately

I had a mega day and its something I’m going to do more often so want to gear up a bit better to stand a better chance, i think the LWG is too light to take to 0.17 in a size 16 for banded pellet so looking for an Eyed option, the MWG Is there but looks very heavy guage, the KKM is thicker wire than the LWG too so sure that would go to 0.17.

also a hook for the margins which probably comes down to the Kaizen, XS Spade or XSH from Preston again for 0.17

What would your setup be?

davej1981

I use 0.18 main, 0.18 hooklength and a 14 or 12 b911x for corn or meat and a 16 b911x for banded pellets. Only use preston slip original in a 12 or 14. Had fish to approx 18lb no problem on a lake where they go like tanks!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
For big carp and hair rigged bands, look no further than Kamasan B960, lighter gauge then the MWG, but very strong. Although, I regularly use LWG eyed with a band for double figure fish, would only expect them to straighten on foul hooked fish.

Rich123

For me at Hallcroft were the fish go to over 20lb, its 9lb N-Gage and 7lb N-Gage hook link. But we have not snags, I'd go to 12lb and 9lb hook link if there were. Pole elastic for me is purple Daiwa all the time. Hooks size 12s Guru QM1 or 14s on the float, amazing hooks, never had one fail me yet.

Don’tTellEmYourName

@Rich123 I hooked something at Hallcroft which took all the elastic and put a right bend in my pole. It just steadily swam on, and on and on. Hook eventually straightened. Assume hooked in tail or something. They certainly go like trains at Hallcroft.

Fred Davis

don't muck about 0.20 mainline min you want to get them out not let them play you hook,s will need to be strong down the edge guru XS, red hydro or any heavy rated brand

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Red hydro in my son’s margin pole was stopping the carp dead in their tracks at Monk’s - 0.19 n-gauge to a 14 Kaizen put everything we hooked on the bank.