pole section painting

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Hi all,

I’m thinking about a mod on a Daiwa pole.
I have a spare no. 8section (all black) from an old tournament pro ... the one that takes it to a (supposed) 11m.
It would fit perfectly up the back of a different 13m pole (taking it to 14.5) which is the most I’d ever need .... and then only very occasionally

Therefore i’m thinking of spraying it up silver for cosmetic reasons (a concession to tackle tarts 😃)

2 questions to the assembled wisdom of Maggotdrowning:
a) will that no8 section be strong enough to act as a butt section? .... it’s certainly no PHEX dolly butt, but it has got a strong pro repair roughly where I’d be holding it anyway
b) if I am going to paint it, are the primer and paint both in spray form the best to use? (Ie, car paint) I assume that I won’t need any lacquer coating.

thanks in advance

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Cellulose based spray paint. Probably a car spray over here. It's what the factories i've worked with use. Top coats are clear versions of same/similar to help avoid scratching the print underneath. So usually primer + base colour + print + clear. I'd avoid any gloss finish.

You might be able to gently sand down (sometimes a nylon type pan scourer works well but a fine emery cloth or similar is good anyway as you'll only be 'keying' it) & just spray silver.

Adds weight though.

Cuprajake

presuming its like a normal pole finish,

red scotchbrite to key the surface,
primer something like upol acid 8
then choose your top coat colour, satin black, if you want a harder finish then ask for a 2k aerosol(has activator in it) but as a satin mix,

wear a mask,

make sure you degrease heavy as theres lots of oils and silicone used around fishing gear

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Cellulose based spray paint. Probably a car spray over here. It's what the factories i've worked with use. Top coats are clear versions of same/similar to help avoid scratching the print underneath. So usually primer + base colour + print + clear. I'd avoid any gloss finish.

You might be able to gently sand down (sometimes a nylon type pan scourer works well but a fine emery cloth or similar is good anyway as you'll only be 'keying' it) & just spray silver.

Adds weight though.
Thanks Richard. Given your knowledge - are "graphic" sections inherently stronger (ie. extra carbon in the layup) or are they simply painted?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
presuming its like a normal pole finish,

red scotchbrite to key the surface,
primer something like upol acid 8
then choose your top coat colour, satin black, if you want a harder finish then ask for a 2k aerosol(has activator in it) but as a satin mix,

wear a mask,

make sure you degrease heavy as theres lots of oils and silicone used around fishing gear
thanks

yes - it's a "normal" gloss pole finish (albeit a bit worn / scratched with use over time).

Would a bike chain degreaser be suitable? or perhaps just washing up liquid?

Cuprajake

dont use washing up liquid, the chain stuff should be ok, presume its solvent based and evaporates pretty quickly?

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Thanks Richard. Given your knowledge - are "graphic" sections inherently stronger (ie. extra carbon in the layup) or are they simply painted?
It can be either. Depends on the actual pole. Many make the butt sections - and especially extensions - out of lower grade, heavier cargon and even carbon/glass. But they then can't support the weight of the pole in front of them very well, sag or are slow. However, the butt could also be same grade as the section or sections in front of it and weigh more simply because they are bigger using more material & painted. There are lots of possibilities. It's like rods, just because a 3pc float rod has 3 sections doesn't mean each section is same material. Often they are different. Each has a job to do.

However adding 50g with paint on a big butt section is not unrealistic. Just avoid any high gloss finish - otherwise it will be a nightmare to 'ship'.