Pole rollers - a real novice question

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Looking to get another pole roller and see that there are two types; a flat roller and V type roller. What are the pros and cons of each type?

My current roller is a Daiwa flat twin roller about 15 years old. Normally I only fish at around 10 metres but would like to try longer pole fishing hence the purchase of another roller.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
You don’t see many V rollers now, they are prone to blowing over and breaking poles. Also the pole can be blown out of the V (some have angled ends to stop this).

Flat rollers don’t blow over, more area to aim at when shipping back and are available in many widths and heights to suit what you want.

Watch this for setting them up, I see far too many people setting their rollers up too low.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Also, if your current roller has a third, central, vertical roller buy one without, and vice versa.

When setting up the two rollers use the one with three vertical rollers near to you and the one without furthest away.
This allows you to use the nearest roller as two when breaking the pole down, and gives you a wider target/area to aim for (rear roller) when shipping back

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
You don’t see many V rollers now, they are prone to blowing over and breaking poles. Also the pole can be blown out of the V (some have angled ends to stop this).

Flat rollers don’t blow over, more area to aim at when shipping back and are available in many widths and heights to suit what you want.

Watch this for setting them up, I see far too many people setting their rollers up too low.

Thank you Chris for your explanation and the video link.