Pole roller

johng19

me@home.com
Hi all, I'll be in the market for a new set of pole rollers soon, might be on my Christmas list.
Been looking at the Map duel rollers, been out a bit now. Anyone use them, and how good they are.
I have the Maver ones at the moment got them second hand and have been ok,

spark1

The map ones are good and if I never had 3 of the matrix twin rollers ones would buy the map ones but agree with the above post.

JLK

The map rollers get a thumbs down from me. The rollers themselves are very good. What let's these rollers down however are the flimsy legs, the leg twist locking mechanism which isn't the best and the plastic lugs that hold the legs in place to the frame.
The lugs have a tendency to come apart and then fall out. If you are lucky and use a roller bag, you may find them in the bottom of the bag at some point. If you are unlucky like most people I know that have these, then you will come to errect the rollers and find that the one or more of the legs will end up coming away from the frame and the lugs will be no where to be seen. Rendering the rollers useless. I had to fix mine with some long nuts and bolts as the spares I got from MAP did the same thing and went AWOL.

johng19

me@home.com
I wouldn't of been thinking of new ones, if the two I have where in good working order. Thanks for no help.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@johng19

Won't Bobco have them in the Black Friday sale? I haven't used the MAP ones but a club member has and rates them highly. He also has a long leg set for one of his rollers (he has 3 of them).

Last edited:

Fishy Medic

The map rollers get a thumbs down from me. The rollers themselves are very good. What let's these rollers down however are the flimsy legs, the leg twist locking mechanism which isn't the best and the plastic lugs that hold the legs in place to the frame.
The lugs have a tendency to come apart and then fall out. If you are lucky and use a roller bag, you may find them in the bottom of the bag at some point. If you are unlucky like most people I know that have these, then you will come to errect the rollers and find that the one or more of the legs will end up coming away from the frame and the lugs will be no where to be seen. Rendering the rollers useless. I had to fix mine with some long nuts and bolts as the spares I got from MAP did the same thing and went AWOL.

Unfortunately I had the exact same experience after my first time using these. I actually had to send them back for replacement before this after they arrrived as one of the uprights came off in my hand first time out of the packaging. I have used some metal bolts to repair too but I have no confidence in them now and used twice. The leg mechanism is just not up to the job.

I have now invested in preston rollers which seem much more solid and I am very happy with them.

johng19

me@home.com
JLK you did give advice and good advice, and my post was not ment at you. When I looked at them the plastic seemed to be a bit iffy to me. It was actually (if it ain't broke dont fix it ) the reason why I want new ones the ones i have have seen better days, I asked about the Map rollers specifically as i had seen a video on the and looked good. As it is i may get another one the same as I already have. But was co considering the the map.

spark1

1573302067164.png
If these are the ones your talking about, they are an excellent roller, spin well etc and come with 2 sets of legs.

I know people who use them regular and don't have any issues.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have a set of MAP dual pole rollers and have found them great to use, especially with a strong wind blowing not had an issue with them.

Fishy Medic

I agree, rollers work well but the quality/design of the legs and how they attach is a bit iffy in my experience

dubdog

Make sure you go for rollers with that run on bearings. Went from mavers to Preston. The maver rollers end up a bit stiff to roll which can cause joint's to work lose. The Preston one's run very smooth but a bit flimsy and far to much plastic for my liking. wish I went for the rive rollers. No point skimping on rollers when you consider the price of new sections.

Nicky Dodds

In the past 12 months I've gone from maver which I had no problems with in 6 years of ownership, to matrix freeflows to Preston.
The only reason I got rid of the mavers was I sold a maver pole to a mate and he fancied matching rollers so I got his matrix ones in the deal.
The matrix were fantastically smooth and spin forever but a lot of my matches involve long walks and they were too heavy and physically too big for my trolley packing. I think they were designed as commie rollers.
Three of my team mates have gone from the rive rollers to Preston so I looked a little closer at theirs and followed suit. So far I cannot fault the Preston at all.
Regarding the rive rollers the only positive I can think of is the extra height you get as standard. Their extra weight is not a plus as any roller can be weighted down if need be. They are at least one and a half times the weight of the matrix and the prices are mental. I also looked at the nufish rollers and almost bought them but found them a little 'bouncy' once set up at full height.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
In the past 12 months I've gone from maver which I had no problems with in 6 years of ownership, to matrix freeflows to Preston.
The only reason I got rid of the mavers was I sold a maver pole to a mate and he fancied matching rollers so I got his matrix ones in the deal.
The matrix were fantastically smooth and spin forever but a lot of my matches involve long walks and they were too heavy and physically too big for my trolley packing. I think they were designed as commie rollers.
Three of my team mates have gone from the rive rollers to Preston so I looked a little closer at theirs and followed suit. So far I cannot fault the Preston at all.
Regarding the rive rollers the only positive I can think of is the extra height you get as standard. Their extra weight is not a plus as any roller can be weighted down if need be. They are at least one and a half times the weight of the matrix and the prices are mental. I also looked at the nufish rollers and almost bought them but found them a little 'bouncy' once set up at full height.
Agree. Watching Nicky on our local canal using a Preston XL I thought .... I've got to get myself one of those. My two flat Preston's are fine but, on occasion I've needed a little more height. The Preston XL seems very stable even at full height adjustment. A great bit of kit. ?

JLK

1573302067164.png
If these are the ones your talking about, they are an excellent roller, spin well etc and come with 2 sets of legs.

I know people who use them regular and don't have any issues.
If you zoom in on the picture above there are some plastic lugs just above the leg. They look round in the picture. These work loose both sides which result in the legs falling off. I suppose if you keep checking them youll be ok. I keep forgetting and then find one side has come out and the leg falls off. Very poor design. A nut and bolt would have been better.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I think the Preston rollers are the best, as others have said. I think the legs and locking on the legs are the best, all those others with the twist option are nowhere near as good.

endpeg

Get some Rive ones expensive but the best.
Well made and dont blow over and smash expensive sections!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I tend to go for the rollers that have pointed feet rather than the ones with those bits of rubber on the end. That way, when it's windy, I just push them into the bank and no fear of it blowing over.