pole roller

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightrider

im looking for new pole roller il be using my 16m pole so need another one and a strong one i keep hearing good things about the seymo w roller but just want to no whiuch ones you would reccommend at a fair price thanks

chrisritch

Merchant Blanker
ive got the avanti V Roller and the flat roller. cost me 20 for the set and cant fault them yet. Exactly the same as the preston ones, but an extra 30-40 for a little logo. thats counting its one of the handful of items they actually have stock of lol

SpeedyJD

Before buying a pole roller at a 'fair price' consider how much a breakage would be on say a number 6 or 7 if the wind blew it over, I've seen it and had it happen to me. Many of us spend a fortune on an expensive pole and then buy a puny roller.
I have the Preston pro flat roller, Preston pro V roller and a cheaper flat roller for when Im fishing 14.5M+ and spread the pole over two rollers. Yes there's probably 85 of rollers there and you maybe don't need that much but after my mishap with the wind and 70 later I've learnt my lesson. This has been the best money spent and making shipping in and out a darn site easier. Also I can see the Preston Rollers lasting years and years, where as the cheaper one is already not rolling right. Only my opinion mind.

delk

Originally posted by SpeedyJD

Before buying a pole roller at a 'fair price' consider how much a breakage would be on say a number 6 or 7 if the wind blew it over, I've seen it and had it happen to me. Many of us spend a fortune on an expensive pole and then buy a puny roller.
I have the Preston pro flat roller, Preston pro V roller and a cheaper flat roller for when Im fishing 14.5M+ and spread the pole over two rollers. Yes there's probably 85 of rollers there and you maybe don't need that much but after my mishap with the wind and 70 later I've learnt my lesson. This has been the best money spent and making shipping in and out a darn site easier. Also I can see the Preston Rollers lasting years and years, where as the cheaper one is already not rolling right. Only my opinion mind.
agree[:T]

The Fish

Whilst I agree Preston are great rollers. I have recently invested in the seymo W roller, a great piece of kit especialy if breaking down twice or you want to fish short leaving two /three sections on the roller behing you. The roller is pretty sturdy but as with all V rollers if its windy ensure your rod bag / carryall is placed around the tripod and should the wind catch the roller it wont going falling over.

BBE555

bbe555
Preston flat rollers mate as made to last and probably one of the sturdiest which is what ya need when ya have a lot of money resting on them . 85 quid for 2 rollers is money well spent trust me as i learned the hard way .

bezz120

Four leg rollers for me,got 2 now.What they call rock n rollers,youve got 2 rollers in the middle that tilt at all angles.Tripod ones blow over in the wind,snaped my 4th section using 1 of them cost me 200.went on a match 2week ago on croft very windy and 4 poles got snapped through rollers getting blown over all with tripod rollers

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
One again we hear the problem of V or W rollers falling over in wind, or not being stable enough.

My simple solution, buy or make a set of ground pegs like those used for tents, bivvies, brollies etc. Get or make a set of guy ropes ( line with adjusters included and a swivel clip in the middle) Normally used to teher brollies from the top ring. Shorten this line so that each arm is say 2 to 4 feet long. Drill the central part of the underside of the frame of the roller and put a split ring or similar through the hole.

Once the roller is set up at the balance point for unshipping, attach the swivel clip to the ring, use the tethers and pegs to peg the roller down to the ground, tension the guy ropes and the roller should withstand a wind stronger than any you might wish to use a pole in :)

BBE555

bbe555
I use tent pegs on my v preston roller but shafted when the roller has to sit on concrete . 4 wheels are always more stable than 3

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
That's true about when on concrete, but you can always use the guy ropes to something heavy, almost as good as pegging it down even if the weight has to be 'suspended'.

luckypiker

I have 2 preston flat rollers and a v roller. Their use depends on typ of ground/ how windy it is. Ive had breaks when using v rollers in wind but was my own fault for not pegging them down. Imo the flat rollers are better in windy conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.