Pole Rigs

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
My way of things is to tie multiple rigs of the same, float, shotting, line diameter and store them in preston rig cases

each of them is tied to a minimum length overall of the top four of my pole, so if the canal comes up during the day,its just as easy to swap to another rig

I just shorten them on the day for the style of fishing and depth of the peg Ive drawn or sat upon

used rigs, get put back in the rig cases with the float pointing the other way to the unused rigs

AdeB

Site Supporter
Yes to both, I don't lengthen using loops though, Bob Nudd taught me how to tie a knot he uses using a thicker line.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Can I ask how you leave them on your top kits plz?
Sure
Short kits not a problem.
Long kits ( 2 Piece (3 piece with number 1 removed) )
Shallow rigs and edge rigs less than the no 1(2) I just break down and hook at bottom of number 1(2).
Longer rigs I wind onto a winder ( that fits around the number 1 ) wind up till its just past the bottom of the number 1(2).
fold the top kit and place a small (old) elastic loop (same size as my little finger) over the winder and topkit.
I always use a loop of elastic when folding my kits ( tip to bottom )

I hope this make sense if not I'll post a picture

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I re-use pole rigs, but i put the winders back in my winder tray upside down, that way when I get a bit of time at home, I can check the rigs that I have used, for signs of wear and tear and replace as appropriate, works for me!

BlueKoi

Another question to add to this thread. When replacing a hooklength do you always re-tie a loop in the main line? I always do this (probably a confidence thing) because, when looking at the loop, even after just a couple of fish, it never looks in the best of shape..

Fishinmaddad

Sure
Short kits not a problem.
Long kits ( 2 Piece (3 piece with number 1 removed) )
Shallow rigs and edge rigs less than the no 1(2) I just break down and hook at bottom of number 1(2).
Longer rigs I wind onto a winder ( that fits around the number 1 ) wind up till its just past the bottom of the number 1(2).
fold the top kit and place a small (old) elastic loop (same size as my little finger) over the winder and topkit.
I always use a loop of elastic when folding my kits ( tip to bottom )

I hope this make sense if not I'll post a picture
A pic would be great mate. ? ?

richox12

Another question to add to this thread. When replacing a hooklength do you always re-tie a loop in the main line? I always do this (probably a confidence thing) because, when looking at the loop, even after just a couple of fish, it never looks in the best of shape..

Mid-session no - unless it's somehow been damaged and I know it. For rigs I want to reuse then sometimes. At home after use I always check the rig loop to test for damage & strength before putting back in my tray for next or future use. Also opening them up stretching/stressing them very slightly on a 4mm needle or similar as loops can become stretched and 'closed'.

Learner21

After you've used a rig obviously the legnth etc has changed, when your using it again do you not find that you end up having to search through the rigs to find a one thats long enough for the session, waisting more time.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
No but in general my rigs are made up on 0.19 or 0.21 Powerline. Have only had the rig loop snap once or twice ( at bottom of loop ) but I was bagging at the time.

BlueKoi

Maybe this will help.
Thanks Steve. I do it the right way but still the loop will look a bit straggled in my opinion. If am going to get over it and just attach new hooklengths during a match. ;)

I do wonder if I make my loop too small. For canal rigs back in the day I used to make the smallest loop, that you can just about see with the naked eye. I remember bringing a rig to a team meeting and everyone was amazed at how small it was that I had to demonstrate how I did it.. I've since had to make them bigger due to getting bait bands etc through the hole. I do struggle to put them on the hooklengths box hooks. I'm wondering whether a bigger loop might be better for longetivity.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Thanks Steve. I do it the right way but still the loop will look a bit straggled in my opinion. If am going to get over it and just attach new hooklengths during a match. ;)

I do wonder if I make my loop too small. For canal rigs back in the day I used to make the smallest loop, that you can just about see with the naked eye. I remember bringing a rig to a team meeting and everyone was amazed at how small it was that I had to demonstrate how I did it.. I've since had to make them bigger due to getting bait bands etc through the hole. I do struggle to put them on the hooklengths box hooks. I'm wondering whether a bigger loop might be better for longetivity.
Wet it and pull the loop down slowly, then to make sure its straight i attach the hook to the bottom of top 2 or 3 or 4 to stretch and straighten the loop ,just for a few seconds. I forgot to say its attached to the dacron at the other end so i get some even tension on the 2 loops to straighten them evenly

Last edited:

BlueKoi

The knot should end up like a reef knot so when pushed together it will open easily.
It is, it's like a figure of 8 when it starts to close.. It does come apart easily I just find that half way through a match, and 10 or so carp ( or in my case, more likely snagging and pulling the elastic 10m) then the loop looks like a significant weak point, specifically at the stress points at the end of the loop. But I guess like Jamie Hughes says it is spliced together so that stress point is larger than a single point that you'd get doing to the wrong way.