Pole Rigs

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have rigs in my box that may have been used 6 times even more. Admittedly there may be times the rig has been set up but never landed a fish on it so it goes back in. If there's no damage then I have no problem with it and I'll even leave the hook on until there's an obvious fault.
Never need to add line as I've always got the right rigs for the job.
Hold on, since when did you go fishing and not catch ? ??

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I re-use rigs all the time. If it was catching fish at the end of one session it will catch fish at the start of the next.

I don't though, purely for aesthetic reasons, extend rigs with extra line. Because I carry so few variations I have plenty of new spares if I need longer rigs on a new venue. But I take this one stage further being a skinflint, or abhorring waste, depends on your point of view. Shortened rigs get used on my club lake and stored in a dedicated box. Rigs that become too short get re-made as margin or up in the water rigs. Finally from those rigs that are too short or I don't need to make more margin rigs I save the line and use it for hooklengths.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
No problem reusing for me but if any concerns will remake, all are on 0.16mm or 0.20mm. I can’t remember the last time a rig snapped at anywhere other than the hook length.

i keep 6“ and 12” ‘extenders’ which I very occasionally use, especially if the wind gets up, they are made on 0.20mm and are stored in my hook boxes with my hooks. They have a loop at either end. Not perfect but better than struggling with too short a lash and quick to add. I probably wouldn’t use them on a beast margin rig.

lp1886

Site Supporter
I have used some rigs over a dozen times, and only retie them when they tangle or the float breaks. I quite happily use hooklengths of the same B/S, and even when pulling for a break the hooklength snaps before the older mainline.
With regard to adding an extension, yes I have done but only using a stepped up line - I don’t have them ready tied, it only takes 20 seconds to tie two loops.

richox12

Sometimes extending rigs is necessary. Most of my river rigs are at 2.0m - 4.5m max length. But I have been faced with a surprising 16' of flowing water on the odd occasion and have had to extend. No choice. And it's never a problem. Likewise when fishing for carp in a shallow venue and the wind gets really strong and I have had to have a longer length between pole tip & float with/without a backshot.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I re-use my rigs. And I have been known to add line if it has been too short - that's always when a particular rig has been working well and it's getting late in the match. I've done it recently, and never had the knot give way (I use a grinner).

BUT I rarely have this problem as I use the Nisa connectors, which allow me to extend the length of the rig if required. So most of mine are made up to seven feet, with the occasional one at ten feet - these are kept in a separate box. I don't understand why they are not more widely used.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
A 2 part question :-

Do you re-use pole rigs more than once, and if you do, would you add line to the length of the rig if it needed it for the depth at your venue?
I will use them more than once but only if I think they are still in very good nick more often than not they are getting remade. As for adding line I like to have rigs at the right depth of the venue I intend t fish but if I ever get caught out I would add line as needed

alsur

Site Supporter
Yes I use them again if they haven't been damaged.
No I do not add line if they are to short.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I re-use my rigs. And I have been known to add line if it has been too short - that's always when a particular rig has been working well and it's getting late in the match. I've done it recently, and never had the knot give way (I use a grinner).

BUT I rarely have this problem as I use the Nisa connectors, which allow me to extend the length of the rig if required. So most of mine are made up to seven feet, with the occasional one at ten feet - these are kept in a separate box. I don't understand why they are not more widely used.
I've never seen those connectors before...that's a new one on me...and have just changed over to Dacrons

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I don't know how I got on without them. Being able to change the distance between float and pole tip when the wind increases is so useful. Without doubt they have been the biggest influence on my results.

Fishinmaddad

I don't put rigs back on winders but I do leave them on my kits (and may reuse). That way I know all my rigs in my trays are unused.
I have been know to add line to rigs but usually due to it being deeper than a top 3 ( my river rigs are made to top 5 but in a different box )
Can I ask how you leave them on your top kits plz?