Pole Rigs

robinta

A 2 part question :-

Do you re-use pole rigs more than once, and if you do, would you add line to the length of the rig if it needed it for the depth at your venue?

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I don't put rigs back on winders but I do leave them on my kits (and may reuse). That way I know all my rigs in my trays are unused.
I have been know to add line to rigs but usually due to it being deeper than a top 3 ( my river rigs are made to top 5 but in a different box )

Jimmy Bronze

Yes and yes if I'm fishing for silvers. Yes and no if fishing for carp/on commercials.

Caveat (no violins) is current life means i don't have a lot of time for prep and so if doing a bit more fishing then i would probably tie more rigs to reduce reuse / doctoring.

rudd

Site Supporter
Yes, reuse but check line.

No, adding line creates a weak spot above float making it an unsafe rig.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If the rig is undamaged, ie no tangle knots or been dragged through weed or rushes, etc, I'll put it back on a winder in my box but I put the winder in the opposite way round to the unused ones so I know it's been used.

I also have a few made up 'lashes' of various lengths just in case I need to lengthen a rig - basically a length of 0.19 line with a double loop at one end to attach to the dacron connector, and a single loop at the other end to attach to the top of a rig.
0.19 so that I know they'll handle all the rigs in my box. Thread the double loop of the rig through the single loop of the lash, and then pass the double loop of the lash through the larger loop of the double loop of the rig and pull together - if you follow what I mean

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
This question depends.

If I'm fishing commercials, Then theres not a chance in hell I'll use the same rig ever again. As soon as I'm packed up, It'll be thrown in my box, destroyed and remade once I'm home.

UNLESS, I'm River Fishing. If I'm River fishing I'll happily use the same rig 2 or 3 times providing theres no damage to the line, And the hook must be changed. I change hook lengths 2 or 3 times every session no matter what I fish for or where to assure it's sharp enough.

Would I ever add excess line to reach a desired depth? Certainly not. I'd remake the rig. I have several of the same float which are all usually made up in my rig box with different lengths for exactly this reason. Might need to change the hook length out on a certain rig for the desired hook but that's about it.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I reuse river rigs a couple of times providing they are in damaged but not carp rigs. Always make up rigs on winde4s without hooks and then add hooklengths as desired.

Never added line to a rig but have stripped and rebuilt rigs on the bank where they weren’t long enough.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
As fishcatcher4. Never reuse a rig. I may put it on a winder to take back but, this is kept separate. Once home I take the float off and start again. I never use a hook more than one session. I’m a bit OCD about my rigs.

Nicky Dodds

I have rigs in my box that may have been used 6 times even more. Admittedly there may be times the rig has been set up but never landed a fish on it so it goes back in. If there's no damage then I have no problem with it and I'll even leave the hook on until there's an obvious fault.
Never need to add line as I've always got the right rigs for the job.

robinta

I've used some margin rigs again, but never added line.. I was interested in the concensus out there ?

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
When I used to fish commies,, I would never use a shorted rig twice, but my margin rig or mud line rigs, are shorted with an olivette.. 0.2/0.3/0.4,, that slides freely on the line, so there’s no damage, no pinged off shot during the session, so I wasn’t adding another shot or two and damaging the main line, so I would happily use these rigs, over and over again

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
A 2 part question :-

Do you re-use pole rigs more than once, and if you do, would you add line to the length of the rig if it needed it for the depth at your venue?
I use all my pole rigs over and over again ,i use o.18 or 0.20 main rig line and just change the hook link every session if ive caught a few. Thats for the warmer months ,in winter i will scale down to 0.15 or 0.13 main line and 0.11 hook links on commercials . I only re rig if i feel or see any damage or ive drastically shortened the rig whilst fishing. I will only add extra line if i have messed up and not made rigs long enough beforehand and that is virtually never

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How do people add hooklengths?

The acceptable method of putting on a hooklength is loop to loop, so what is the difference between putting on a hooklength and putting on a lash to extend a rig, even more so when the line for the lash is stronger than the rig line itself which compensates for any loss where knots are.
Don't forget also you have one or two knots in your rig line above your float for connecting to the connector/dacron whatever ;)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
How do people add hooklengths?

The acceptable method of putting on a hooklength is loop to loop, so what is the difference between putting on a hooklength and putting on a lash to extend a rig, even more so when the line for the lash is stronger than the rig line itself which compensates for any loss where knots are.
Don't forget also you have one or two knots in your rig line above your float for connecting to the connector/dacron whatever ;)
Agree with what your saying Dave i just dont like 5 loops in my rig ,just doesnt look right . I only fish ponds or lakes so i try to make them longer than i need before i go ,it also saves taking off shot and putting back on lower on the extended line.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
If the rig is undamaged, ie no tangle knots or been dragged through weed or rushes, etc, I'll put it back on a winder in my box but I put the winder in the opposite way round to the unused ones so I know it's been used.

I also have a few made up 'lashes' of various lengths just in case I need to lengthen a rig - basically a length of 0.19 line with a double loop at one end to attach to the dacron connector, and a single loop at the other end to attach to the top of a rig.
0.19 so that I know they'll handle all the rigs in my box. Thread the double loop of the rig through the single loop of the lash, and then pass the double loop of the lash through the larger loop of the double loop of the rig and pull together - if you follow what I mean
Never thought of doing that. I've had occasions when the rigs I've made, haven't been long enough for the water I'm fishing & I end up having to knock a new one up. How do you store the lashes Dave?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I do reuse rigs, depending on what has been caught on them. A silverfish rig will be fine with a new hook length, a carp rig will probably get replaced, unless I’ve only caught 1 or 2 smallish carp on it. I make my river rigs too long and shorten on the bank, so no need to add line.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never thought of doing that. I've had occasions when the rigs I've made, haven't been long enough for the water I'm fishing & I end up having to knock a new one up. How do you store the lashes Dave?
Just on a pole winder