Pole rigs - how do you choose what to take? (Pleasure fishing)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
This year I plan to do a lot of pole fishing - if Covid restrictions ever ease enough for me to pick up the one that’s being held for me - and my son will be on the whip.

I‘ve accumulated a lot of floats from a local chap clearing out which will shortly be on winders ready for battle.

The thing is I’ve only got a small old continental style box with a single tray under the seat for winders so realistically I can get about 20 made up rigs in there.

Do people in a similar situation tend to :

(a) carry one or two each of many patterns

(b) lots of just a couple of patterns

(c) carry all their rigs but use separate plastic cases for those not in the box

stephanie

i carry my rigs in trays on my box but also in preston winder cases plus i have some in a separate bag also. as for numbers i have on average 10 of each rig made up if a rig gets messed up rather than fiddling about it just gets swapped out then i will rebuild the damaged rig later

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Got a preston lidded tray with a few rigs... some for silvers some for margins... s'nuff fer me nowadays

rudd

Site Supporter
Use an old preston on box I have a selection of rigs in winder tray but took a couple of preston winder boxes that sit Velcrod into the top of seat section above winder tray.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I used to use all kinds of patterns then when I started making my own I just used rugby ball and slimmer chianti shape, match fishing I had 6 trays, about 90 rigs, pleasure fishing I think 20 would be enough.

pies

Site Supporter
20 winders is quite alot. Especially if you use double winders
I would look at using very few patterns
Deep water (3ft +) carbon stem good weather,wire with rounded or diamond body for rough
Shallow water carbon or glass
In summer just use hollow bristled floats
So thats just three patterns. As a guide 0.1g per foot of depth
Shotting rough guide
4x14 use no8
4x12 use no9
4x10 use no10
keep things simple. Ive fallen into the trap and am starting to unravel it. I now carry just 5 patterns but i do carry the same float in at least triplicate but its not necessary

OldTaff

Site Supporter
For shallow I’ve got about a dozen Drennan Crystal dibbers, both inline and eyed which will go nicely doubled up on an little winders

Medway stretch I fish has 12’ at your feet to 18’ through the middle and I’ve lots of carbon stem floats that should be fine for that

My local (carp only) lake is around 6’-8’ at long pole range so wire or carbon there too then

The vast majority of the floats are unused Marix ones in carbon and wire stem

A busy couple of weeks making them up during lunch breaks - should be good fun :)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would think your gonna need some heavier floats for the medway,

getting up to 4 or 5 gramme around the town section, might be worth asking on the medway fishers FB page what they use

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I would think your gonna need some heavier floats for the medway,

getting up to 4 or 5 gramme around the town section, might be worth asking on the medway fishers FB page what they use

I’ll do that Mick, thanks (y)