Pole Rigs - Almost too Good to Use :)

matiny2k

Have been spending a fair bit of time recently re-doing all of my pole rigs with refinements over the last time I did it - hopefully better with new information I've picked up and things I have learnt. Anyway, now they're looking all nicely sorted, they almost seem too good to use ! - does anyone else ever feel this way or is it just me !!

Although I've tried not to be too wasteful with line lengths, I do know that once a rig comes off the winder then it's likely to be either cut down in size slightly or a shot or two added / taken off to adjust for the conditions of the day. Being a bit OCD about this particular topic (and probably a bit of lockdownitis kicking in) what happens at the end of the session if the rig is still in use ?

a) Put it back on the winder, complete with hook in place and file amongst the other rigs
b) Put it back but remove the hook
c) Trash the rig and tie another one when I get home as that one may have 'weakened' during the session

I sort of feel that if I put it back in amongst the other rigs then the refinements I've made to it during the session may be inadequate for the next session - so I'm leaning towards option c - even if it does appear a little wasteful.

Apologies for the OCDness of the topic. Hope it makes sense :)

M

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Have been spending a fair bit of time recently re-doing all of my pole rigs with refinements over the last time I did it - hopefully better with new information I've picked up and things I have learnt. Anyway, now they're looking all nicely sorted, they almost seem too good to use ! - does anyone else ever feel this way or is it just me !!

Although I've tried not to be too wasteful with line lengths, I do know that once a rig comes off the winder then it's likely to be either cut down in size slightly or a shot or two added / taken off to adjust for the conditions of the day. Being a bit OCD about this particular topic (and probably a bit of lockdownitis kicking in) what happens at the end of the session if the rig is still in use ?

a) Put it back on the winder, complete with hook in place and file amongst the other rigs
b) Put it back but remove the hook
c) Trash the rig and tie another one when I get home as that one may have 'weakened' during the session

I sort of feel that if I put it back in amongst the other rigs then the refinements I've made to it during the session may be inadequate for the next session - so I'm leaning towards option c - even if it does appear a little wasteful.

Apologies for the OCDness of the topic. Hope it makes sense :)

M
Get em used ,take pleasure from them when you catch . 😁

Whisker

Site Supporter
A) for me.
I know my rigs with hooks on are used rigs. Might well change the hook on the next use but I only re-tie my rigs over the Christmas break as I have spares ready.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
C, never use a rig twice. Cut the float off and tie another rig at home. Same with hook lengths. Never have I used a hook length for two sessions. Why would you ? They cost pennies. 🤷‍♂️

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I leave them set up on top kits , unless they get Damaged, might change the hook if it’s been busy

Whisker

Site Supporter
I get why you re-tie a rig after 1 use, I’m a match angler so I understand it might give you confidence.

But if you do follow that rule, how often do you change the line on your feeder reels...?

I change line on all my reels and re-tie rigs once a year and, as Landlord said, if I was retired, I’d probably re-tie used rigs each week. But I doubt I’d change line on my feeder rods each week, prolly twice a year at most. Curious now as it’s got me thinking (dangerous when I thinks... 🤔😝)

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
A

If there is no damage there is no damage. We had a lad in the club like that, trash a fine rig and start again. His kit looked awesome but he got beat by somebody doing a) wonder who?
I understand Ivan Marks had a jumbled mess in his box-didn't stop him catching.
However it is whatever works for you

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I always based it upon how much work the rig had done. When (pleasure) fishing the canal I might have three rigs made up and you could almost guarantee that at least one wouldn't get much use - so that would go straight back on the winder, the rig that got used the most would be put aside for retying and the third might go one way or the other depending upon time spent fishing and fish caught.

If I've only caught a dozen fish of no more than an ounce each I would like to think the rig should be good for another day.

I apply the same logic to my heavy rigs if they've not seen much action, but that's rarer. Plus I often make these up on the day anyway, whereas fiddly 4x12 rigs with styls are much easier to make a home than the canal bank.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I get why you re-tie a rig after 1 use, I’m a match angler so I understand it might give you confidence.

But if you do follow that rule, how often do you change the line on your feeder reels...?

I change line on all my reels and re-tie rigs once a year and, as Landlord said, if I was retired, I’d probably re-tie used rigs each week. But I doubt I’d change line on my feeder rods each week, prolly twice a year at most. Curious now as it’s got me thinking (dangerous when I thinks... 🤔😝)
I occasionally hold my line when reeling in at the end of a session to feel for nicks and damage ,very rare if any is damaged more than a few meters up ,if it is damaged well up i would change it but only then . I have line on a reel for a couple of seasons usually ,unless i want to try a different line . Rigs i use over and over ,just change the hooks if ive used them ,i always run my fingers down the rig to check for any damage . Put your rig back in the tray the opposite way ,that way you know its used and needs a hook change ,thats my way .

Keith Sparky

A..........also on my winders with 2 rigs per winder I turn the winder with the deep part of the winder facing down.....I then know that the rig I have used is the one facing down with the hooklength on while the other rig on the winder is unused