Pole rig placement

rudd

Site Supporter
So lately we have seen a fair number of rigs (pictures) / rig posts and posts on pole float types.

So for float type / shotting pattern - what is the best way to put each one into the water?
Lay flat / lower etc.

Example:
paste rig - ship out, twist pole to release paste from arm/pot whilst lifting pole - then paste rig is gently lowered until paste touches bottom.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Expanders, with heavyish strung bulk, down the rig ,tap in a few micros or 4mm pellets, lower rig straight down slowly,so you’re hookbait goes down with the loose feed , then lift and drop to induce bites. Maggots, mostly lay the rig out straight and keep a tight line to see bites on the drop, try laying it in different ways ie straight out, to the right etc ....

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If im after carps or bream, I tend to lower a rig in,

for the majority of other fish-silvers, I try to lay the rig on the water so it falls in an arc

Whisker

Site Supporter
Me too. Will usually lower it in to start but vary/experiment throughout if bites aren’t coming quick enough.

rudd

Site Supporter
Would you slowly lower any type of bulk rig or drop it quickly to get bait down?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Would you slowly lower any type of bulk rig or drop it quickly to get bait down?
I like to lower it at the same rate as any feed I’ve kinder potted in , unless I’m just setting a trap, then I want to get it down and set as quickly as possible

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I lower bulk shot rigs slowly or at an angle otherwise the hooklink can spiral up round the bulk if allowed to drop too quickly

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I lower bulk shot rigs slowly or at an angle otherwise the hooklink can spiral up round the bulk if allowed to drop too quickly
Personally never had that happen.

As others have said, it depends how the fish want it on the day, somedays laying in is best, some days lowering. Even laying to the right or left depending on tow, as that can make a huge difference to your catch rate.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
So lately we have seen a fair number of rigs (pictures) / rig posts and posts on pole float types.

So for float type / shotting pattern - what is the best way to put each one into the water?
Lay flat / lower etc.

Example:
paste rig - ship out, twist pole to release paste from arm/pot whilst lifting pole - then paste rig is gently lowered until paste touches bottom.
If fishing on a slope near bank i push rig out away from me and allow to fall towards me ,on a far bank i lower rig near to me and allow to fall into the slope . Fishing on a flatish bottom with pellets ,corn,worm lower in straight . I do lower in from the side to allowing for tow and wind usually determines the tow and what side i lower in from . I want a nice constant curve in a tow . If fish are up off the deck i want a nice slow fall to find that depth . Then i lower in which ever is best for presentation in the wind ,left ,right or forward .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Try using a kicker shot set an inch under your bulk Arry. 👍

Arry

Site Supporter
I usually had a couple of micros undererneath the bulk anyway Mick... once I had experienced the dreaded twizzle it was fairly simple to sort out

Arry

Site Supporter
I usually had a couple of micros uerneath the bulk anyway Mick
Personally never had that happen.

As others have said, it depends how the fish want it on the day, somedays laying in is best, some days lowering. Even laying to the right or left depending on tow, as that can make a huge difference to your catch rate.
I found it happened with large olivette rigs in deep water

baggy

Mark Saunders
I tend to change it up depending on what I’m fishing for and how the target fish want to feed, it is very rare that once you find what works well for a couple hours will work for the whole session. It also depends on what you are feeding too, I fish a lot of casters. I might start with a bulk and two droppers bombing it to the bottom, but then change to a strung bulk lowered in and finish either shallow or a reverse spread shotting pattern which could be laid out to the left or right.