Pole rig main line

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
Like pretty much everyone else, I'm using the lockdown to go through my tackle and currently I'm tying pole rigs. I've only been pole fishing since last autumn and until now I've used preston reflo power line in 0.19 (7lb 6oz BS) for my rig main line, working on the basis that the hooklength is more important in terms of line diameter. I've used this through the winter and been extremely happy with both the line and the fishing I've had with it. The hooklengths are also reflo power and I fish stillwaters with good heads of carp (to double figures) and F1s, as well as plenty of silvers.

I'm now thinking of using a lower diameter line, specifically reflo power 0.15 (5lb 14oz BS) as the 0.19 seems a bit sledgehammer to crack a nut, despite how well it's served me. Preston do 0.17 reflo power line which would have been ideal but I'm unable to source it anywhere so only have 0.15 and 0.19 to hand.

This potential change does make me a bit nervous so I was wondering what others use for their pole rig mainlines, type, diameter, breaking strain etc? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dusty

0.17 mainline for all my summer commercial rigs except margin rigs which are to 0.19.

0.15 mainline for all my silvers rigs.

Hooklengths usually 0.15 for carp rigs or 0.17 for margin rigs ?

Edit - forgot to say brand is Guru N Gauge

Last edited:

1kingy

Never say never
Site Supporter
N-gauge 0.19 (7lb) for me mate, and hook lengths depend on what I’m fishing for.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Be prepared for a thousand answers!
Personally, I use Drennan Supplex: 4lb winter rigs, 6lb summer and 8lb margins.
Never had reason to change as I'm confident with these. With you saying 'a potential change makes you a bit nervous' I'd stay with what you've got... confidence is everything.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
0.19 for me and tie on teh hooklength i need, the thicker line can be a advantage, Jamie Hughes and others all talk about this in various videos, i would expect 0.17 to make virtually no difference so do what gives you confidence, nothing wrong with trying something and seeing what happens and change if your not happy

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have 2 tubertini lines I use, the 0.14 is rated at 9lb and the 0.10 is rated at 5.8lb
Never had any problems using it, other brands use are shimano silk shock and guru n gauge.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I swapped over to these 2 lines, mainly out of curiosity, and have to say I'm well pleased with both. I use Middy Lo-Viz for the hook lengths.

100_1665.JPG

Rig Line.JPG

The Konger Steelon is also on my feeder reel as main line. Both have excellent knot strength.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
summer rigs Guru Ngauge 0.17, (odd 0.19 rig for animal park) 0.15/0.13 hooklengths
Winter rigs 0.15 (0.13/0.11 hooklength)
Silvers Silstar match team 0.14 - 0.10 or 0.07 pro micron

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
All my rigs are made up with Guru N-Gauge 0.17 up to 0.22.
Use N-Gauge for hooklengths as well but line BS/diameter varies to suit hooksize/application. ;)

Whisker

Site Supporter
Feeling slightly embarrassed I'm the only one who doesn't know my line diameters without going into the garage and checking.
Reason being there are so many variations in diameters, I'd find it easier to do old school lbs/ozs.
When people talk diameters as on this thread, I convert using a rule of thumb that: .20 = 6lb, .18 = 5lb, .16 = 4lb etc so I do get a rough idea.

Dusty

Feeling slightly embarrassed I'm the only one who doesn't know my line diameters without going into the garage and checking.
Reason being there are so many variations in diameters, I'd find it easier to do old school lbs/ozs.
When people talk diameters as on this thread, I convert using a rule of thumb that: .20 = 6lb, .18 = 5lb, .16 = 4lb etc so I do get a rough idea.
For N gauge it’s as follows
0.22 9lb
0.19 7lb
0.17 6lb
0.15 5lb
0.13 4lb
0.11 3lb

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

I even find that can be a bit misleading. I also prefer lb/oz's as diameters are all over the place. 0.16 (for example) usually regarded around 4lb but when you come to look at the Lo-Viz line, 0.16 is a little over 5lb. Team Silstar line in 0.22 is 10lb but Theseus Match in 0.23 is only 6lb. Mind boggling.

90sGear

Site Supporter
Middy lo Viz 0.16 main line on everything bar 0.20 for big margin fish, 01.14 on some dedicated silver's/fi rigs.