Pole rig line ?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Although I have a few light pole rigs already ( matching my old canal / silvers type pole ) I’ve just acquired a more ‘ all rounder ‘ type pole which I hope to become more proficient with
This pole comes with various top kits rated up to 16 elastic
My question is what type of line does one use on various rigs ( I’ve use 2 or 2.5 maxima on my light silvers rigs and varied the hook link to suit the hook size and bait in use )
All advice most welcome
Intended use of pole larger silvers, bream, perch and tench ( would expect the odd carp maybe up to 10lb to muscle in but fishing for them intentionally ) maybe the odd deep river session mainly dace and roach possibility of a decent bream perch or chub
David mate, maybe I can make life simple for you? N-GAGE is an amazing pole hook-length line. Buy 9lb 7lb 5lb 3lb (or 4lb) The first two will do for big carp, the second for silvers and small carp. You can also us 7lb and 5lb for slightly bigger than average fish. Just four spools will cover 90% of your fishing. It's what I do now, and life is simple. The plus side too is the line is slim in diameter compared to most lines.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Guru N - Guage for main pole rig line and Guru N - Guage pro for pole rig hook lengths. Suits my fishing which is predominantly natural venues.

Rick123

Site Supporter
We often talk about new gear on the forum, but I feel reel line/hook-link material has come such a long way. The N-Gage, that I swear by now for all my commercial fishing is so reliable, I hardly think about it anymore, This last week I hooked a good carp while roach fishing, it turned out to be a cracking common around 12lb. The line was 5lb N-Gage main line with a 3lb N-Gage tippet, I was really firm on the fish, making the white elastic work really hard, but just taking things slowly, the line seemed more than adequate at the time?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We often talk about new gear on the forum, but I feel reel line/hook-link material has come such a long way. The N-Gage, that I swear by now for all my commercial fishing is so reliable, I hardly think about it anymore, This last week I hooked a good carp while roach fishing, it turned out to be a cracking common around 12lb. The line was 5lb N-Gage main line with a 3lb N-Gage tippet, I was really firm on the fish, making the white elastic work really hard, but just taking things slowly, the line seemed more than adequate at the time?
You’ve hit the nail on the head there. I read your post and thought ..... he’s right. I don’t think of my line now either. The move to Guru N - Guage was one of my better decisions. May not suit everyone but, I love the stuff.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Doubling the line bs gives an ok starting point for what elastic to match to line. E.G 4lb line= 8 elastic.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just wondering why not use mono main line , as long as it's stronger than the hook length and the hooklength is balenced to the elastic ?